Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Traditional Food in Real Lives- Monday

Monday, May 17, 2010

Traditional Food in Real Lives- Monday


This is still part of our Traditional Foods in Real Lives: Working Around the Work Schedule series
Breakfast- sliced apples and eggs cooked in coconut oil.  Up at 6:00 (this is when my little ones get up anyway), started heating the pan for eggs, cooked apples.  Everyone ate, everything cleaned up at 5 minutes to 7:00.  I ate at the table with the kids at first, but then I got up to clean up, get dressed, etc after 10 minutes or so.

I was actually surprised that breakfast took this long - I thought a simple breakfast like this would go faster.

Put the chicken in the crockpot on low to go all day 'while out of the house'.

Lunch: It was really nice to have lunch already made when the kids were hungry!  I think I'll be incorporating a lot more make-ahead food into our schedule from now on.  Hannah didn't eat as much as I thought she would. Sam 'shared' my sandwich by picking some of the chicken out, eating a bite of pickle, and some apples.

Salmon patties for dinner. To be 'authentic' I thought I'd wait to start dinner when my husband got home from work.  Fifteen minutes later we were eating, then out the door again to look at a house.  We had salad that I had made on Sunday again.  Back home, got the kids to bed, and cleaned up.

Took the chicken off the bones from the crock pot (I turned it off when I was preparing dinner a couple hours earlier) and put some aside for tomorrow's tacos, made the rest into chicken salad for lunches.

Total hands on time this evening:
2 minutes for dinner and clean up
another 20 minutes to pull the chicken off, wash crockpot, and make chicken salad+ lunches.

Edited to add all parts of this series: Continue below
Traditional Food in Real Lives- How can this be done around the work schedule?
Grocery Shopping and Menu Planning
Weekend Meal Prep
Monday
Tuesday and Wednesday
Thursday and Friday- the home stretch
Reflections on this week and how it impacts me as a stay at home mom, and adjustments I'd make if I did work outside the home

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Oh my goodness, I could never spend this little time making meals! Even with our breakfast pared down (patties made, broth thawed, veggies cut, dishes all set out and ready the night before), it still seems to take 1 1/2! I just can't get into a pattern to cut down the meal prep times unless I take 2 days off (of homeschooling) and cook up large batches of stuff.
ALso looking for a King Cutter to speed up all the veggie chopping.

Great job getting the prep work done ahead of time so your day's meals could go more quickly!!

May 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Good for you!! This is really inspiring. I have a very flexible job so I can come home and prep food when I need to, but it's cool to consider how a little preparation can really make meals go quickly! I'm really glad you're doing this. I might share it with some of my friends who do work long hours!

May 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home