Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Salmon Patties with Green Peas

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Salmon Patties with Green Peas


This meal is fast- a whole foods equivalent of boxed macaroni and cheese.  One bowl to mix, a pan to fry, and you're ready to eat!  I found wild canned salmon at Costco (Kirkland brand) for 9.99 for 3 cans. We used two here, so this is a little more expensive than mac n' cheese, but also much richer in the good fats, calcium, and protein.  I served with (heated) frozen peas- my children, who generally like everything, don't eat peas. I blame it on myself for not serving them often enough, and their father who refuses to eat them (which is the reason why I don't serve them often).  But I like peas, so we had them with this fast meal.


  • Two cans of wild caught salmon 
  • Two eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut to hold together (and make GAPS friendly) breadcrumbs could also be used.



Use a fork to mix, form into patties with your hands, and fry in palm kernel oil or coconut oil on medium-high heat. Flip once browned, about 5 minutes on each side.

Cost breakdown: About $8 to feed our family of 4. Not too bad!
Part of Pennywise Platter Thursdays

More fishy posts:
Real Food for Mother and Baby - the book that inspired me to start eating more fish
Fish patties from wild Montana-caught trout
More books that I love

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

My family loves salmon patties! I made them just last week. I like to add a little onion and sometimes green pepper to them, too. The peas are something we need to work on. We eat them IN stuff, but never on their own. Like I said, it's something we probably need to work on.

April 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM  
OpenID eatsbutter said...

I love the KS wild salmon! We make our patties with grated parmesan cheese and a touch of garlic powder and/or onion powder. I squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over them before serving.

April 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger nat said...

Hi Cara,

I just have to say that I love your blog. The way you raise your children to eat and appreciate wholesome real food is inspirational and I hope to be able to do the same!

I'm on the GAPS diet and understand that you went on it for a while..? My question to you is- did you at any point (on or off the diet) experience a negative reaction to a good food? ie. a 'healing crisis'?

Right now I am experiencing very 'tired eyes' from chicken! So strange. 3 months ago it gave me HORRIBLE G.I upset and fatigue.. now 'tired eyes'. So strange!

Natalia :)

April 22, 2010 at 2:18 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Thanks Natalia!

My daughter is still on GAPS, so I can tell you about my experience with her. I didn't stay on it long enough to have much of a healing crisis- but it did clear my milk allergy, which was really cool!

My daughter, she does go in phases of die off, they talk about that on the GAPS list. With chicken, I wonder if it could have been a reaction to an additive in it? Because it's usually something like yogurt, fermented foods, coconut oil that causes a healing crisis. But then I think the body just does 'waves' of healing too, so that could be. Or it totally could have been the chicken, I don't know! :)

Helpful, aren't I? :oP

April 22, 2010 at 6:35 AM  
Anonymous Vika said...

I like the coconut idea! I make salmon patties often but have never thought to use shredded coconut. How easy! We don't do GAPS but I'll try this idea for fun.

(If you shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods they have the wild caught Alaska salmon $2.69 for 14oz)

April 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Cara,
These look really good. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

April 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Rebeccah said...

Have you ever tried making this recipe with any other type of fish? The reason I ask is because I have some home canned tuna and wonder if it would be just as good? Thanks for all your great ideas!!

April 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

It should work with tuna, I've done it with trout before too :)

May 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home