Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Making Mayonnaise is Easy!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Making Mayonnaise is Easy!


After Jenni  told me that mayonnaise is easier to make if the eggs are room temperature, I've been making mayonnaise (and not eggy-oil) on the first attempt ever since.  Thanks!  Mayonnaise is surprisingly easy to make, and only requires eggs and oil. I add a little sea salt and lemon juice at the end.  I even took a video of the emulsification a while back- you can hear the sound deepen if you care to watch all the way through.  I didn't measure in the video, but I've decided that it's easier if I measure because then I am better able to gauge how fast I'm pouring.

What to do:
Use two raw eggs
2 cups of oil- I use a more refined olive oil, I don't mind the taste of it at all, though it's not as strong as extra virgin would taste
Put the eggs in the food processor (I seem to talk about using the food processor often, don't I?), turn on, and take a full minute to pour in each cup of oil. I have a clock with a second hand up above my counter, that helps.
By the time two minutes are up (or one minute for one egg/cup of oil) it should be thick! In my experience you have to pour it slowly- dumping it all in at once and then letting it run for a minute doesn't seem to work.
Then I add a small pinch of sea salt and let it mix in.
It does thicken a little more in the fridge.

According to Nourishing Traditions you can add a couple tablespoons of whey and then let it sit out on the counter for a couple days to lactoferment before putting in the fridge. With the lactofermentation, the mayonnaise will keep longer.  I've done this before and didn't notice a taste difference- this time I didn't have any whey so I just did plain.

Without the whey it lasts in the fridge a couple weeks.

Easy, isn't it? If you've ever taken the time to compare ingredients on different store bought mayonnaises I believe you'll agree that it's easier to just make your own.  And frugal! Costing essentially as much as you pay for oil.



More:
My triumph last year when I finally got mayonnaise to work right (before I was using cold eggs)
About good quality olive oil
More raw eggs- in smoothies this time

Part of Real Food Wednesday and Pennywise Platter Thursday

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

This really does look easy. Thanks for the video. When I can find a good source for fresh eggs, I'm going to try it. I'm still a bit nervous over using raw eggs so this will be a big step for me.:-)

I made your beef sausage last week with local grass-fed beef. Even my processed pork sausage loving husband loved it. Another win for nourishing foods! (I forgot to add the eggs but it was still really good and held together ok after being refrigerated overnight.)

I really enjoy your blog and the simple way you present recipes for eating a real foods diet.

April 7, 2010 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Thanks Mary Ann! Sometimes I leave out the eggs from the sausage too.

It took me a while to get used to raw eggs. If you want, you can wash the shell with warm water and soap first- the bacteria is on the outside not in the egg. The 'risk' is contamination during cracking.

I'm glad you like my simple cooking! Simple is what works in our family :)

April 7, 2010 at 8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Cara,
The recipe calls for two egg yolks,
but the video shows you using two whole eggs, with whites.
Do you usually use the entire egg?
Thanks!

April 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Anonymous christine said...

Is it safe to use eggs from the grocery store for this?
Not sure where I can get fresh eggs around here.
Thanks!

April 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Cara,
Thanks for sharing this. I am going to start making my own mayonaise. This lloks easy.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

April 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I've done it before with grocery store eggs.

I'll go switch it to whole raw eggs- that's what I use, not sure why I put only yolks..

April 7, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I totally agree with both the room temp eggs and the very-very slowly pouring in of the oil.

I made mayonnaise a little while ago in order to try to replicate this amazing aioli I had had at a restaurant, and I just knew storebought mayo wasn't going to cut it. So easy and so worth it!

Here is a link to my improvised aioli recipe, if anyone's interested. :)

April 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger chanelle said...

I am interested in making my own mayo, but I'm wondering about the taste. I've been a Best Foods (hellman's) fan for a long time and usually don't like anything else. How does this compare?

April 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

@ Chanelle: Homemade mayo beats the pants off of Hellman's.

I'm so glad to see a mayo post, it is actually one of the first processed foods I learned to make from scratch. I lived in Chile for a while and everyone was floored when they discovered I didn't know how to make mayonesa.

April 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger chanelle said...

thanks alexandra- that makes me want to try it even more!

April 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Anjanette said...

your recipe still says only yolks in the directions... guessing that's why mine didn't work.

April 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Shannon Wirth said...

Disaster twice! Argh! Is it due to just using the yolks instead of the whole eggs like your video? But I watched another video and that just showed using egg yolks too...maybe too much oil? I thought it was emulsifying at one point then just got oily and separated.......any ideas???
Thanks,
Shannon

April 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Frustrating! If it's emulsifying then separating, it sounds like too much oil. You should be able to pour it back into another egg and have it work. And I changed it to be *whole eggs* since that's what I usually use. I have done it with only yolks too, but maybe 1 cup per yolk is too much. I suppose it depends on the size of the egg as well.

And the eggs are room temp, right?

April 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home