Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Smoothies - Easy, Balanced, and Filling

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Smoothies - Easy, Balanced, and Filling

Blueberry Smoothie

It's smoothie weather again! I find that if I try to enjoy smoothies in the wintertime my thermostat ends up getting cranked up way too high. So I stick with soups then, and smoothies when it starts to get warm.
I love that we can put our whole meal in the blender, blend it up, and everyone is thrilled with this sweetener free treat.  The eggs and coconut oil additions make the smoothie stick with you.

I put in:

  • Coconut oil, 3 or so tablespoons, as described in Sally Fallon's Eat Fat Lose Fat
  • 3-4 raw eggs
  • a banana or two
  • a cup of frozen fruit
  • about a cup of yogurt


Our favorite fruits are strawberries and mangos, the picture above is blueberry. I've added spinach before, but I prefer to eat my spinach on the side, and just have fruit in my smoothies.  With the eggs for protein and the coconut oil adding a good dose of fat and keeping me full, our smoothies are something fast that I feel is a plenty balanced meal.  Before I started adding coconut oil, I'd be hungry again an hour later. These fill me enough to go all morning.

Concerned about raw eggs? I'm perfectly comfortable eating good quality eggs that are raw. Knowing what I do now about the unhealthy farming practices used to produce factory eggs, I wouldn't recommend consuming them raw (or at all if you can find a better alternative). But we get good quality local pastured eggs, and I'm happy to add to our smoothies. In fact, when I was pregnant with my second I used egg-filled smoothies to get my protein up for pregnancy.  (More information on eating raw eggs)

Did you know? Orange juice, honey, and a couple raw eggs blend up and taste just like an Orange Julius.

For fruit, we try to only buy berries that are organic, so we end up using a lot of {cheaper} bananas and only a handful of berries for flavor.  Berries are crops that are heavily sprayed, and they have thin skin that would absorb chemicals easily.  Bananas both have the skin that comes off, and aren't very heavily sprayed, if sprayed at all.  (list of the food you'll want to buy organic to avoid heavy use of pesticides)

Oster 6641 Cube 12-Speed BlenderAnd thanks to your recommendations in the Kitchen Tools post, I got an Osterizer Blender on sale at JC Penny's that week. It's working really well for smoothies, and the fitting is metal, not plastic as the blender we had before (and wore out) was.  It does scoot across the counter a little bit, but it's not bad.  I just supervise ~grin~

What about you?  What do you put in smoothies?

I posted on my Facebook page when we had our first smoothies of the year, and lots of talk about peanut butter and cocoa!

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Deb(bie Debbie Doo) said...

pretty much do the same thing you do for smoothies - except sometimes I'll add a shy TBS of raw honey too if I feel I need it.

for green smoothies i sometimes just toss in huge amount of spinach and two or three bananas if i'm really feeling lazy :)

March 31, 2010 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Okay, I confess to being skeptical about the raw eggs. HOWEVER, once we start getting eggs from a local free-range source, I may give it a try.

Like you, I rely heavily on bananas and yogurt for the bulk of our smoothies with just a few berries thrown in for color and sweetness.

thanks for sharing your recipes!

March 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

I like to use raw milk or homemade kefir, frozen berries (makes it thick), and a handful of whatever greens I have on hand. Spinach, swiss chard, kale . . . just don't use parsley, that one you can taste :-)

March 31, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Emerald Green said...

I use dairy kefir, and a little water kefir too if it needs to be thinned out a bit! I have a burning question though. I'd LOVE to put coconut oil in my smoothie but i find that when I do, it clumps up and is not a nice consistency because the frozen berries are so cold. Do you let yours warm a little? Or just deal with the chunks?

March 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Folky Dots....Treasures for the Sweetest People said...

I may have posted on your facebook? We do homemade yogurt, banana, peanut butter and cocoa powder for smoothies. Depending on how tart my yogurt is (I tend to forget its in the cooler and I usually have a fairly tart yogurt) determines the amount of bananas I use. Usually I do 3 medium bananas, 2 heaping spoons of peanut butter and 2-3 heaping spoons of cocoa powder. Sometimes I add raw eggs, sometimes not. I blend it all up with yogurt to make a full blender of smoothies. I have to make two blenders full for my family. I think I'm going to try adding the coconut oil just to make them stick to the ribs long...seeing as I have 4 boys from 11-17 who always seems to be hungry.

March 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

We use frozen berries, vanilla yogurt, and a banana. The kiddos go nuts when I make them, as if they were chocolate chip cookies or something. Score! :)

March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
OpenID freetofeast said...

We put in homemade yogurt, honey, and usually strawberries. Once we did peaches, which I didn't care for as much.

I haven't done a smoothie in a while, but reading your post has my tastebuds all set for one! Thanks for sharing!

March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Rana said...

The timing on your post is perfect. Just this morning I told my sister I need to find some good smoothie recipes. Thank you for sharing these. I have bananas and blueberries I've been wanting to make smoothies with. Can't wait to try.

March 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi,
I just heard recently that blueberries are probiotics work well together in our bodies- see this study http://www.endonurse.com/hotnews/blueberries--probiotics-combat-gut-disease.html
So I always try to include at least a few blueberries in our smoothies! I also like to steam either spinach or kale and blend it (while still warm) with coconut oil. Then I pour it into an ice cube tray & use a cube or two in each smoothie, for a "boost". :)

March 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Natalie C. said...

Cara,
Love your posts! Keep 'em coming! Sorry I don't get much time for responses..
Had a quick sec to say that green smoothies become palatable with the adition of citrus. It cuts the green flavor. Orange juice works great with a few blueberries, big handful of spinach and water to make blending easy. You can add honey if you needed. Also... warm up the coconut oil in a pan and then pour it in with the blender running gets rid of lumps. Hope this helps! Looks yummy!

March 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Thanks Natalie (I'm thinking you're Natalie from playgroup? :) )

I've found that the coconut will blend well if I add it with the more wet stuff (yogurt and un-frozen bananas rather than frozen berries) and really let it go for a while - 2 mins or so, which seems long when that loud thing is going. Then I'll add in my berries. I don't really mind chunks, but they clog up the kids' straws :)

March 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Eyrie said...

I just follow the recipe in Nourishing Traditions and make substitutions as needed. Like I often use agave nectar instead of honey since is blends better and I'm lazy and through it all in together. My 11 year old won't let me use kefir in hers, but is great with everything else. Also, Sally Fallon reminds us to be careful using raw egg whites very often. So most of the time, I just use the yolks and then the whites get used in pancakes or crepes.

April 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

I wonder about using the whites also. With health issues I don't need a reason for my body to work harder and I though the raw whites were hard to digest??? Anyone?

We have been into true green smoothies lately, since the first of the year. Every morning without fail my daughter makes a ridiculous amount of green smoothies to feed our large family.

Tons of greens (rotate daily between kale, spinach and romaine)
apple and pear
ice

When we do regular smoothies we do yogurt and fruit. I keep forgeting about the coconut oil!

Great posts as always, thanks

April 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

I wonder about using the whites also. With health issues I don't need a reason for my body to work harder and I though the raw whites were hard to digest??? Anyone?

We have been into true green smoothies lately, since the first of the year. Every morning without fail my daughter makes a ridiculous amount of green smoothies to feed our large family.

Tons of greens (rotate daily between kale, spinach and romaine)
apple and pear
ice

When we do regular smoothies we do yogurt and fruit. I keep forgeting about the coconut oil!

Great posts as always, thanks

April 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

I wonder about using the whites also. With health issues I don't need a reason for my body to work harder and I though the raw whites were hard to digest??? Anyone?

We have been into true green smoothies lately, since the first of the year. Every morning without fail my daughter makes a ridiculous amount of green smoothies to feed our large family.

Tons of greens (rotate daily between kale, spinach and romaine)
apple and pear
ice

When we do regular smoothies we do yogurt and fruit. I keep forgeting about the coconut oil!

Great posts as always, thanks

April 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Hmm, I think the whites are something I should look more into. I'm pretty sure in the GAPS book she says that it's okay to eat whites raw, but most people don't like to. Maybe that was only for a couple eggs a day, not a bunch though.

April 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home