Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Refined Sweetener Free Challenge

Monday, March 22, 2010

Refined Sweetener Free Challenge

After going off GAPS I, perhaps, lost self control and started eating entirely too many refined sweeteners (sugar, corn syrup a couple times).  Some of them made me feel sick (the free Dr Pepper I got for shopping at our being-remodeled Albertson's) and that was enough motivation to stop those.  For everything else, Rachel from Rachel's Cooking and I decided we'd do a Refined Sweetener Free Challenge next month.  Now I can get back in the habit of not necessarily being completely grain/starch/sugar free, but just be sugar free while also eating whole grains and other Nourishing Traditions food.

Do you want to join in? This can be a challenge that meets you at the level you're at.  A couple years ago cutting out all refined sweeteners would have been way over my head (most prepared food, convenience food, meals out are going to have corn syrup or sugar in them) so I think it's fair game to modify the challenge in a way that works for you and your family.  Maybe that means that all month you don't use refined sweeteners for one meal a day. Maybe you go completely sugar free during the week, but let it slide on the weekends. Maybe you want to try it for a full 7-day week but not the whole month. Maybe you're way ahead of me and have already mastered cutting out refined sweeteners, but want to lower the amount of natural sweeteners you use as well.

I'm not here to judge you, just to encourage you to see what you can do! And I know Easter is this month, you can always have that be a 'cheat' day if you'd like, or just skip the desserts as I plan on doing. I promise, you can save the chocolate bunnies for May and they'll still be fine ;)

So, if you want to blog about it, you can go ahead and link up.  If you don't blog, I'd love to hear from you in the comments!
Please link back here as well so your readers can learn more about the challenge! I'll be getting an image up soon for you to use if you like too.

My Particular 'rules' (for myself) for this challenge:
Similar to my 'no pork' rule, I have no desire to venture into legalism.  If I would be offending someone by not eating food at their house because it has sweetener in it, I put people above ideals (the greatest commandment is love... first of all I am to be loving).  But! This is not a loophole. I'm not going to go over to friends' houses who I know is perfectly used to my abnormalness and pretend that I'd be hurting her feelings by refusing Oreos.  ~grin~  And I'm quite sure without even asking that my husband will not be doing this challenge, though as I drag him through this real foods journey he is eating less and less junk food, so he'll cut down on it just because it won't be in the house as much.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger An Hour In the Kitchen said...

I'm up for the challenge! I've been shunning refined sugar for a couple months, but probably could stand to pull back a bit on even the natural sweetener. I've been going a bit overboard!

March 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Susanna said...

I just wanted to say that I really appreciated your comment about loving people enough not to offend them w/ an eating choice. Thanks for sharing that. We're already on GAPS (starting our 4th week!) so can't get much more sugar-free than that, right? :) Oh, I also appreciate the way you don't force your diet on your husband. I have 3 loaves of banana bread in the oven now - one made with whole wheat flour and sucanat for him (he likes it that way), and then two made with coconut flour and honey for the kids and I. There are ways to make it work! Enjoy your sugar-free challenge - you know you'll love how you feel!

March 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Mom23wFA said...

We've been off refined sugar for over two years now- on GAPS, although we did have a little maple syrup from this year's harvest. We use raw honey or fruit.
It might be easy for us, but we're up for the challenge!

March 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Refined sugar makes us sick now! Amazing how some bodies can work up such a tolerance of it! Blogging about it today...

March 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Cori said...

I would have to read this with a pint of Haagen-Dazs in my hand...
at least I can promise no corn sweeteners (including xylitol, fructose, dextrose, etc.)

March 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

I am so in! I will work on a post and then link up! Need to work on my personal guidelines for the month and then post. Just let me know if/when you get a button.

March 24, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Veiled Glory said...

I'll put my bonnet in the ring, too. :-) I already set up a "pre-pregnancy" diet thing which pretty much eliminated the sweets except honey in my raspberry leaf tea. This will be tough b/c my next door neighbor owns an ice cream shop. Their products do not contain HFCS, but one can so easily stop by a couple times a week for a neighborly scoop or two. ;-) It adds up.

March 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Alright I'm joining in! Posted about starting the challenge and why here: http://scdkatfood.blogspot.com/2010/03/update-other-skin-issues-and-no-honey.html
Gonna be a long month... ;)

March 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I haven't been eating refined sweeteners for awhile now (I honestly have no idea how long) and it makes a HUGE difference in how you feel. We weren't meant to consume that stuff anyway. Good luck and I'll be looking forward to reading how you do!!!

March 29, 2010 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

It seems my original comment didn't post. If there is a duplicate, I apologize. Anyway, I stumbled on your website through orgjunkie. We have been off of refined sweeteners for some time now. It's amazing how much better you feel when not consuming that processed junk. I look forward to seeing how you do! Good luck!

March 29, 2010 at 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I saw this on Kat's blog, and thought... I don't want to commit to that. ;) But, in the days since then I've changed my mind. I'm on GAPS (6 weeks in) and so honey is my only sweetener, and I haven't been abusing it, but even with the little that I eat, I am having trouble kicking the candida. So I'm up for the challenge -- a month without honey will be good for me. It will hopefully also discourage me from too much nut-baking, which also doesn't seem to agree with me...

March 31, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home