Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Imitation Nutella: Cocoa Almond Butter

Friday, March 19, 2010

Imitation Nutella: Cocoa Almond Butter

I haven't had Nutella in years, but the bulk pack in Costco occasionally taunts me (large quantities some how appeal to me- see my issue with a giant pie last summer).  I had a chocolate craving, but realized that since being off GAPS I'd gotten into the habit of eating entirely too much refined sugar.  So I made my own chocolate almond butter in the food processor.
Rough estimates:
Almonds (3 cups), honey (1/4 cup), a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder, coconut oil (2 tablespoons), and a little bit of salt.  The almonds this time weren't soaked/dehydrated but that would have been better.


It's soft at room temperature, but because of the coconut oil it hardens in the fridge.  I'm usually wary of leaving my homemade concoctions out at room temp, since they're preservative free, so I keep this in the fridge and chip out some to get my fix.


More:
More on chocolate in relation to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, from the Pecan Bread site. SCD is what GAPS is based on, and there's lots to be learned from this website.
GAPS-friendly coconut macaroons
GAPS-friendly honey almond brittle


My Sponsors:
Naturoli: High quality natural laundry soap for pennies a load!
Amazon: I buy lots from Amazon, from books to carseats to diapers
Mountain Rose Herbs: Bulk herbs, spices, and essential oils
Rose of Sharon Acres: Natural goat milk soap products and tooth chips- soap for teeth!
Folky Dots: Beautiful Waldorf Dolls and Clothes from a work-at-home mom

Part of Fight Back Friday
and Finer Things Friday

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

That is a delicious idea! I grew up with Nutella on white bread. I'm actually glad to hear this is solid in the fridge, since it might prevent one from over indulging in it ;)

March 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

Oooh good idea. I hardly ever buy Nutella because I'll eat the whole thing ;-) But this might be a yummy addition if I'm having people over.

March 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

yum. nutella is so good tasting but so bad, this sounds like it might suffice.

March 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

The Nutella haunts me at Costco too. Either my dh or I is the stronger one and tells the other to step away from the Nutella! Heaven forbid if both of us our weak at the same time! 'gasp'

Did you say if you like it or not?? Did I miss it?
Thanks for the idea!

March 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
OpenID trikonahealthworks said...

I use to love nutella too. I have taken to making homemade ganache using pure hazelnut extract. Not entirely sugar free though...but it it has that creamy texture.

2 cups semi-sweet or bittersweet choc. chips
2 cups grass-fed organic cream
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp hazelnut extract.

hmmm... maybe I should just write a blog about this too! I'll link back to you!

March 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Oh yes, I love it! A good sweet fix and it's nice and filling.

March 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Anonymous mountainash said...

I'm going to try this! Thanks Cara!

March 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I need to try this. Even the small jars of Nutella taunt me, but it's been a while since I've given in!

March 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Anjanette said...

We just used our new food processor for the first time to make this! Yum!!!

March 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger kc said...

This sounds a lot like a faux fudge I have made using coconut cream concentrate, butter, honey and ground vanilla beans. I drop half spoonfuls onto a foil lined pan and put it into the freezer to harden. Once it is hardened, I put a few in the fridge but keep most in the freezer until I am ready for them. You could do yours the same way but it may make it too convenient to resist. :)

March 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Yum, this sounds so good. I can't wait to try it.

March 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Amy @ Finer Things said...

I've never had Nutella. Perhaps I should stay far, far away to avoid the temptation?

March 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

I wondered the other day about a nutella substitute! Thanks for your timely post! :)

March 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle AP said...

I will have to try this!! I have the Costco Nutella issue as well;op I'm so glad I am not the only one that has to talk herself out of the isle with the Nutlella. I make almond butter with a bit of coconut oil all the time so this will be an easy modification. I use a vita-mix and it is wonderful for making all types of nut butters.

March 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle AP said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Joy said...

Could you make it with hazelnuts instead of almonds? Why almonds instead? It sounds yummy & perfect for bedtime chocolate cravings!

March 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Hazelnuts would be even better- I just used almonds because that's what I had :)

March 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

This seems similar to a recipe we use. Check it out here:
http://happygoldenyears.blogspot.com/2010/02/sugar-free-velvet-dark-chocolate.html

March 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home