Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Friday Fails!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Fails!

I've had a collection of fails this week- just wanted to share, to keep things nice and honest:
  • I dropped 18 eggs on the counter.  Good eggs. Pastured eggs. Dropped the whole container, it was open and landed eggs-side down; they spilled over both sides of the counter so hubby had to take both the oven and the refrigerator out so I could steam/soak/scrape out the eggie mess.  The whole reason for this is because I keep both my empty containers and full containers of eggs up on top of my fridge, and I have to move the whole stack to get to my crock pot. I could see this coming months ago. And I'm still keeping them up there.
  • I left a pan full of 'easy' ketchup going on the stove over overnight. Thankfully it didn't catch on fire, or burn my favorite pan.  Charcoally mess that took much soaking and scraping to get rid of (soaking in vinegar for a while, then adding baking soda loosened it up)
  • I've been eating entirely too much sugar since being off of GAPS.  My parents visited and  brought See's candy with them last week, I ate maybe 10 or 12 the first night and took Pepto Bismol because I felt so sick I couldn't sleep. Without fail refined sugar makes me gain weight, I've gained 10 lbs in the two weeks I've been off GAPS.  Rachel and I are remedying this by doing a sugar free challenge next month, which I'll post more on soon.  But still, self control? 
  • I thought I found a great OshKosh flannel shirt for Hannah at Goodwill, but didn't look carefully enough and it had a big old hole in the front. I'll patch it and use it as a play shirt, but still. Didn't notice this until she was wearing it.  Really, before buying used clothing it's a good idea to go over the item with a fine tooth comb! :)
  • I haven't been menu planning, which you can see (I post them when I actually do them), which means that we've been having quesadillas or scrambled eggs for dinner way too often.
  • I shrunk a wool soaker that I knit.
  • All of the above should most likely bother me more than it does.  I kind of said "hmmm" and moved on with every one of these (other than the soaker, I'm a little bummed about that). 
All these fails just remind me of how thankful I am for God's grace in my life, that He gave me these precious children to enjoy when I can't even keep eggs from splattering on the counter and running down onto the floor.  He gave me a hard working husband who doesn't even complain when we have quesadillas for the third time that week.  I have so much more than I deserve!


A part of Friday Fails
A part of Fight Back Friday

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

It ALWAYS helps the rest of us to know that we aren't the only ones that do these things! These are our lessons, huh?
If we had it alllll together, then we wouldn't need the cross or encouragement of others and could be an island. And who would want that - lol!
Blessings,
Andrea

March 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Briana said...

Awesome attitude Cara!

You know sugar is an addictive substance. I refuse to eat the stuff! Course, that doesn't keep me from holding onto this extra weight.

Sometimes it's nice to go without a plan. Makes you really appreciate it when you get back to it!

I hope you fed some of the broken eggs to your dog. It makes me feel better when I can feed ruined food to the animals and know the nutrients are at least being used.

March 12, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

That egg thing was not a fail. Oh my what dedication to get all the gooey mess! I think I might have forgotten to get the stuff I could not directly see.

March 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger EllaJac said...

I concur with marie. The stove and fridge... could just stay, likely! :]

As to the soaker, consider it a size or two smaller? Will there be another little one sometime to use it? Or sell/give it? Is it REALLY small? Maybe there's a preemie (in cloth? hmm), or a DOLL that could get some use! :)

March 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger The Queen Herself said...

Thanks for sharing... both your fails and your faith. Cheers.

March 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

AMEN!

As for the soaker.....I read somewhere that if you soak shrunk wool things in hair conditioner it will loosen up the fibers, then re wash it and let it air dry. What would it hurt to try????

March 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Susanna said...

Thanks for being so candid - and for keeping the right perspective! Yesterday I read this quote: "All the treasures of a million worlds could not make me richer, happier, or more contented, for His unsearchable riches are mine." (Valley of Vision, pg. 51)
So that helps me not get too upset when I walk down to the basement to get some sourkraut juice from the crock we have fermenting and discover that the top of it is covered with white mold!!! Augh!! This is Day 1 of Intro and I was trying to have great food probiotics since I wasn't planning to buy any supplements! And you know I can't just pop out another batch of kraut this afternoon. But we'll figure something out, and I still have so much to be grateful for!!

March 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

Sounds like a Murphy week, but your attitude is so positive! I know what you mean about the used clothing. I once bought a really nice shirt for my son that was missing not one, but TWO buttons. I just didn't check it. :(

March 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi, I don't know what a "wool soaker" is- but Family Fun magazine had the cutest wool crafts before Christmas time - you purposefully shrink wool & make things with the "felted wool". You should look on their website- I've been wanting to find an old wool sweater somewhere so I can make some of those super cute things!

March 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger lundgren79 said...

In the words of the British Government: Keep calm and carry on! Sounds like you are awesome at moving forward and not letting murphy get you down. Thanks so much for sharing.

March 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I think the egg and ketchup fails are the worst. But I probably would have cried over the soaker. They are worth DOUBLE their weight in gold! :)

March 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Sara Cart said...

Every day we make at least one "Oops!" That is why we have a loving and graceful Lord to watch over us.

March 13, 2010 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Sara Cart said...

Every day we make at least one "Oops!" That is why we have a loving and graceful Lord to watch over us.

March 13, 2010 at 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

Oh, I feel ya!

I love it when God gives us a little perspective to know what to make a big deal about and what not too! He kindly does this for me often and I am so thankful!

I want to learn how to make "easy ketchup". Dang we just buy ours, is it cheaper to make your own?

March 13, 2010 at 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

Oh, I feel ya!

I love it when God gives us a little perspective to know what to make a big deal about and what not too! He kindly does this for me often and I am so thankful!

I want to learn how to make "easy ketchup". Dang we just buy ours, is it cheaper to make your own?

March 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I'll go up and make 'easy ketchup' into a link for ya :) I don't know how to link in my comments ;)

March 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Myra said...

Such a fun "real" post to read!!! I'm really interested in your sugar free challenge. It's amazing what refined sugar does to me. It's really awful stuff.

I'm so glad that your stove top and pan aren't forever ruined.

Thanks for participating in Friday Fails! :)

March 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home