Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Soaked Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Soaked Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

I posted my soaked wheat bread in pictures last summer, and I finally now got around to actually measuring as I put my ingredients in.  Nourishing Traditions has a good recipe too, but honestly, I just dump things in until they look right (and yes, it always turns out differently. That doesn't bother me enough to measure).  This time I stuck a Post-it on my cupboard door as I cooked and noted what I was adding and how much.

So, for the soaking part (you can read more about this in last summer's post) 
  • 7 cups whole wheat flour. This is Bronze Chief from Wheat Montana
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup palm oil (or coconut oil or butter)
  • 1 cup water

It all went in my kitchenaid with the dough hook- I added the water last, pouring slowly until throughly mixed in (hands on time: 5 minutes)
Covered with a dish towel and let soak/ferment overnight 

The next day added :
  • 1 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt (I use salt even if I'm using salted butter, I think it really needs the salt!)


*The color difference is because of the light- the first picture was in afternoon light, this one is morning light

Just right in the kitchenaid bowl. (1 minute hands on time) let it mix for another 5-10 minutes. I could have 'proofed' the yeast in water with a dab of honey first, but I didn't and it worked fine.  Even better would be to have a natural yeast starter, but I don't  have that at the moment either.


Shaped two loaves, kneading a couple times to form the loaves. Put in my loaf pans that have been generously greased with palm oil. Butter or coconut oil would be fine too.   (5 minutes hands on time)
  • Left to rise while visiting a friend (a couple hours) 
  • Baked 45 minutes at 350. 
  • Allowed to cool in the pan a couple hours, then sliced. I like to slice before putting in the fridge so it's all ready to go.





More:
For grain-free people there's coconut flour bread
And grain free pancakes
Hopefully I'll get a good yeast-free starter again soon
Soaked wheat pancakes

Part of Pennywise Platter Thursdays at The Nourishing Gourmet

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger chanelle said...

Cara,
Hi! Just wanted to let you know I could definitely use your participation in my real food and religion series. Please email me at hhhh147 (at) juno (dot) com and I will get you the details. Thanks!
p.s. your bread looks great!

March 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

That's good looking bread! I always thought soaking was done to the wheat before it was ground into flower. But then again, that would be sprouted wheat not soaked. I'll have to read back and find out more about this.

March 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Thanks! Sprouted wheat is better, I think, but I haven't done that yet so we do this for now. We find it much more digestible than non-soaked.

March 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

THANK YOU for posting measurements! I know that I was one who had asked you previously. I've been behind on blog reading (morning sickness) and am just now finding this. We can't wait to try it!

April 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Cara,
Hi! My name is Jenny and I recently came accros your site. What a service you have done as a busy Mom to share in what you have learned and what you are learning to help others in the great search for truth. What a blessing!!! You've done a great job with the site as well, very welcoming and family friendly. We all know that's hard to find now a days! Any way, it sounds like we have a lot in common. My husband gets annoid with me sometimes about my passion about health and wellness (actually it is a passion for truth) but after the doctors wanted to treat my daughter's MRSA with antibiotics for the 5th or 6th time, I decided it was time to learn things for myself since the doctors did not seem so sure. "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." 3rd John vs. 4
So, here I am, excited about a fellow Christian, pro health Mom--nice to meet you!
I do have a question you may be able to answer.
When I tried both recipes of soaked bread they did not turn out. My bread never rises correctly. I followed the directions on the yogurt recipe although on the lemon juice recipe I added too much water. Do you have any ideas?
Thanks for being a blessing!!!
Jenny

April 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I'd ask how your yeast is, can you 'proof it'? To proof, I put a tablespoon of honey or so and 1/2 cup of warm water (warm so it doesn't feel hot or cold to touch) in a bowl and then mix in a teaspoon of yeast (or whatever you need for the recipe). If it froths up it's good, if not it's bad.

Also, how warm is your kitchen? Mine isn't drafty and is pretty warm. In a cooler or drafty kitchen, the bread can take considerably longer to rise.

April 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Joy said...

Cara,

I'd like to try soaking the wheat flour for my muffings but don't know how to adjust the liquid measurements. Any tips? Thanks!

May 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I'd just use yogurt for the liquid and combine with the flour and fat, and let that sit overnight. If it looks too dry add a little more until it's muffin batter consistency and you can easily work in the baking powder, fruit, and whatever else you're adding.

May 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home