Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Lazy Stovetop Popcorn

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lazy Stovetop Popcorn

Share

We had a popcorn maker when we were first married. I got rid of it and got much-needed cupboard space once I realized that it's super easy to pop corn on the stove, in a regular pan, without shaking it incessantly.

This is all I do, I pour popcorn in the bottom of a pot or pan, about as much as it takes to cover the bottom of the pan seems to work well. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut oil.

Crack the lid to allow steam to escape. Turn the stove to medium, right there in the exact middle has worked in every house we've lived in.  I don't shake it. When the popping slows, it's done. Better to remove it from the burner too soon than to let it burn and ruin the whole pot.

We top with sea salt.  Easy, isn't it?

Sally Fallon in Nourishing Traditions warns against eating too much popcorn because it's not soaked, but compared to most snack foods on the market this is a great improvement!

This frugal snack is part of Pennywise platter Thursday

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Oak said...

I'm gonna have to give this a try - would love to free up the space our handcrank popcorn maker takes up! And I'm getting my Azure order today - 5 lbs of org. popcorn coming my way :)

February 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Jackie @ Munching Madness said...

We do the exact same thing! After buying the microwave stuff a few times, we realized that a pot would work just as well! The bags of the popcorn are so cheap, and we already had a pot to make it in. Who knew being frugal and healthy would pay off like this!

February 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

This is a great post! Unnecessary kitchen gadgets drive me crazy. I had no idea this could be so simple and I love it that the oil can be added before cooking. Thanks!

February 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

We made popcorn on our stovetop for a few months until we set it on fire...twice...and then we got a used popcorn maker from a friend. :) Oops?!

February 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

SERIOUSLY?! That's IT?! Oh wow. TOTALLY have to try.

February 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger babydoc said...

Popcorn with sugar all the I'm afraid, no sea salt!:-) ... It wasn't till I met some Americans that I realised it was possible to get microwave popcorn? We didn't have that here(on England) then...we may do now, but making it in the stove is so easy, no need for shortcuts.

February 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger ingridknits said...

We use coconut oil to pop it on the stovetop, then sprinkle with sea salt and nutritional yeast. Highly addictive and yummy! Particularly with raw milk:)

February 25, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home