Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Fish Cutlets- Getting more fish in our diet

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fish Cutlets- Getting more fish in our diet


Living in Montana, I have absolutely no excuse for not including this nutrient dense food in our diet.  For $30 each, hubby and I can fish every weekend this summer and catch a combined limit of 10 fish (depending on the area and type of fish).

I had avoided cooking fish previously because it seemed like an awful lot of work to pick around all those little bones.  With the recipe for fish cutlets in the GAPS book, I think we can handle eating fish this year, since all the bones get ground up into the meat.

I had fish in my freezer that hubby's boss had given us last summer.

The book says to remove the head, skin, and large bones. I started removing all the little bones but quickly became bored and decided we'd see how they did in the food processor instead.

In it goes, with an egg, some coconut oil, salt and pepper.

Ground, by pulsing, and then formed into patties.  Rolled the patties in shredded coconut, and baked in a greased glass baking dish.

Baked 40ish minutes at 350.  They were great! I felt a few bones, I think those are the ones that were stuck up on the side of the food processor bowl and didn't get mixed in well enough. Next time I'll scrape around and whirl some more.

I'm not the only one trying to include more fish in our diets, Stephanie and Kimi are as well!


Part of Real Food Wednesday and Pennywise Platter Thursday and Fight Back Friday

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kim @ the Nourishing Cook said...

Cara... this is SUCH a great idea! I am now excited to use some of the fish that I have had in the freezer for awhile. My husband loves coconut shrimp too so I think he'll even like the 'breading' method. I just will neglect to tell the girls what it is, hee hee.

February 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Mrs. Money said...

Wow, that looks great! I am soo jealous that you live in Montana! I really want to go there, especially to Bozeman.

February 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

Have you tried filleting them? My dad makes awesome pan fried bluegills and he is an expert at filleting them, so no bones! Hopefully I'll get that skill down one day.

February 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I do want to learn how to fillet, maybe this summer!

February 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Alyss said...

That does look good! I don't have too much trouble getting fish into my diet.. I absolutely love baked salmon, and found a great sauteed white fish recipe I like this summer too. This does look fantastic though. Yum!

February 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

i love these pics, fish is so wonderful and almost no one eats enough of it! i made shrimp patties is a similar manner last night and they were yum!

February 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Hayli @ Superior Nut said...

Good for you for fishing with your hubby! It's quality family time AND nutritious/thrifty.

February 18, 2010 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

What kind of fish do you catch locally?

February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Trying to think... My husband is the expert but I think we have trout, kokani (sp?), and pike. He gets all into different lures and stuff... I just want to use worms. :)

February 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

I enjoy reading your post all week but I only pop in and comment about once a week. I was amazed at the soap nuts! There are so many interesting alternatives. We love fish, but I like how these look crunchy and brown without being fried.

February 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home