Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Easy Lunch: Chicken Salad in Steamed Cabbage

Monday, February 22, 2010

Easy Lunch: Chicken Salad in Steamed Cabbage

Share

This is an easy lunch, chicken salad is made up in the beginning of the week to last the whole week.  I cored a cabbage and then steamed for a good 30 minutes to soften the leaves. The too-soft outer leaves and too-small inner leaves go into soup, the 'just right' ones are used as wraps.  GAPS friendly but liked by everyone. We add cooked apples or squash to the meal for carbohydrates since we don't restrict carbs.  I wrap in waxed paper and tuck in an insulated lunch bag for an easy lunch on the go.

Simple chicken salad:
Cut up chicken
 A generous amount of mayonnaise
Sea salt
Pepper
Optional: sauerkraut for good probiotics,  cut up onions, celery, olives, mustard

Mix.  See? Eating real food can be very simple!

And a soaked wheat tortilla recipe from gnowglins if you wanted to skip the cabbage. I also have bought sprouted corn tortillas pre-GAPS at the health food store.  If you're buying corn tortillas it's really a good idea to get them sprouted or soaked in lime as traditional cultures do.  They're easier to digest that way.





More:
Lactofermented vegetables
A sandwich chock-full of healthy stuff

And I finally have some things up on Etsy! Come check out my Etsy shop, Green Bean Boutique! Previews of more to be listed on my craft blog

Part of Real Food Wednesdays

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

OpenID thesavedquarter said...

I love your little waldorf doll and carrot! Too cute!

February 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Susanna said...

Hi, I found your blog through Cheeseslave's and have spent hours on it (just in the last day!) because I am seriously considering putting my kids (4, 6, and 7) and myself on the diet to take care of some eczema/skin issues. I'm also wondering if it might help me to feel better in general! We're addicted to bread around here, so my biggest concern is how I'll possibly get my little ones feeling full in the early days (broth only?!?) They're really big eaters. We've been mostly NT for many months now, and they're not picky eaters, but we're all about the breads (either soaked, or sourdough) around here... Do you happen to know if you can have sizeable portions of yogurt right away? It seems to agree with all of us, and I make it from raw, grass-fed milk.
THANK YOU for all the work you put into your blog. You've given me hope that I can make this work, and even provide extra options for my husband since I won't plan on him joining the "party." :)

February 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Hi Susanna,

You may want to start on full GAPS, then do intro for a week or so once you've been on full GAPS for a little bit. That might help with the bread addiction, since you can make coconut or squash 'bread' or pancakes on full GAPS (full GAPS is just GAPS, not intro, if that makes sense).

I don't think you're allowed yogurt at all in the intro, it's considered more 'advanced'. And it does need to be incubated for 24 hours to use up all the lactose to be used at any time in the diet.

You can also kind of be flexible with GAPS, and if you decide to keep yogurt in but otherwise do the intro, that could very well work for you.

Hope that helps. My daughter ate SO MUCH especially the first month on GAPS that it was amazing. I started giving her just spoonfuls of coconut oil to try and fill her up sometimes. So I hope their eating stays under control for you, it's common on GAPS/SCD for kids to eat tons and tons at first.

It most likely will make you feel better in general. I love the way I feel on GAPS.

February 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Cara, I just love your recipes. I think this chicken salad on cabbage is a simple easy lunch, but not sure how my family would like it. I think it would go over better on a tortilla.

btw I gave you a "Beautiful Blogger Award" pick up the image on my blog and post it here at yours.

February 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Susanna said...

Cara, Thanks for your very helpful reply to my comment. That does make sense to start full GAPS, then do the intro after maybe a couple weeks? Though honestly I just want to get the intro over so I don't have to dread it anymore. :) We don't have any MAJOR health issues here, so I'm hoping this is a quick process for us.

Do you think I could use coconut flour right away if we start w/ full GAPS (I know not in the intro)? Thinking that would help w/ the huge hole that cutting bread products will leave...

Also, did you mean that yogurt would be OK while we're doing full GAPS, and only cut it out during the intro diet?

I talked to my kids about it this a.m. and they were SHOCKED to hear that we'd cut out bread stuff for a while, but they're used to me explaining how things work with our bodies and why we make necessary changes. They gave loud cheers when I talked about broth, soups, chicken, eggs, and avocado, so there's hope. :)

I'll be checking back at your blog regularly!

February 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Susanna,
That sounds great! If the kids are on board, that's most of the work done already ;)
I was saying that you might be able to keep the yogurt in during the intro. It's for sure allowed on full GAPS, as is the coconut flour. Yogurt isn't normally an intro food, but it is allowed later in the diet (the SCD yogurt that I posted about today).

February 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger Amity said...

I just googled "GAPS chicken salad" to make our first full GAPS meal: a bowl of chicken salad with grated steamed cauliflower. It was great! Toddler, husband, and grandmother all enjoyed it. Thank you for posting such a delicious, easy recipe. We added onion, bell pepper, celery, and advocado. Very nice!

April 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Amity said...

Oh yes, and we used olive oil instead of mayonnaise, and also added some sauerkraut. So good!

April 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home