Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Cow vs Goat Yogurt

Friday, February 26, 2010

Cow vs Goat Yogurt


Cow yogurt on the left, goat on the right.

I made the 24-hour SCD/GAPS yogurt for GAPS; both with cow and goat since one of my kids doesn't do well on the cow yet.  I did them the exact same way, but the goat turned out runnier than the cow.  Goat milk fat is also white and naturally homogenized, so it has a little different properties from cow milk.  This is just the goat milk in the purple carton that you can get in the dairy section from some normal grocery stores.  

The SCD/GAPS yogurt is kept warm for 24 hours, so that the good bacteria have time to digest all the lactose. Having the yogurt be homemade and incubated for 24 hours really is an essential part of the diets, since any lactose that would be digested would feed the bad bacteria in the gut that we're trying to starve.

Eventually, I'd love to have milk goats.  I bought Raising Dairy Goats on Amazon about 10 years ago- via AOL dial up on the computer in my parents' bedroom.  Some day I'll put this book to use!

My kids love yogurt plain. I like it plain, but I also like it with raisins in it. We use it for dipping and as a topping on pancakes, or just eat it for a snack.  I liked the idea in Wild Fermentation of combining the sourness of yogurt with savory flavors to compliment the taste of yogurt rather than trying to cover it up.

Are you making yogurt yet? It's really simple, it's way cheaper than store-bought yogurt, and it's a great way to get good bacteria into your diet!

More:
How I do yogurt in a cooler- it's pretty simple.  And yes, I use store (industrial) milk. I don't have raw milk right now; raw milk is better but the yogurt does work with grocery store milk as well. (this gets asked pretty often, since I'm encouraging you to leave your milk in a warm environment for 24 hours ;) - not something that we're taught is okay to do!)
More detailed directions to SCD 24-hour yogurt.
Benefits of raw goat milk from Rose of Sharon Acres


Cow closeup


Goat closeup
Share

Part of Fight Back Friday


My Sponsors:

Naturoli: High quality natural laundry soap for pennies a load! (50% off sale on their detergent until 3/1)

Amazon: I buy lots from here, from books to carseats to diapers
Mountain Rose Herbs: Bulk herbs, spices, and essential oils
Rose of Sharon Acres: Natural goat milk soap products and tooth chips- soap for teeth!
Folky Dots: Beautiful Waldorf Dolls and Clothes from a work-at-home mom

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I recently started making my own yogurt (the crock pot method) and have been surprised to find that I much prefer it over the store bought kind. I was considering trying it using goat's milk - so I'm glad you posted this today. Since I prefer a thicker yogurt, I think I'll stick with the cows.

February 26, 2010 at 5:58 AM  
Blogger Deb(bie Debbie Doo) said...

i'm thinking that goats milk yogurt would totally rock a smoothie! think i may give this a try.

cara - i just started a Fellowship Friday thing on my blog - i would LOVE to have you join in - here's a link http://turtleoak.blogspot.com/2010/02/fellowship-fridays-lets-begin.html !!!

February 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Folky Dots....Treasures for the Sweetest People said...

Can you taste the goat in the goat yogurt? I've rarely had goat milk that didn't taste goatie.

I make between 2-4 gallons of yogurt a week. I'm fortunate to buy raw milk from a local dairy for $2.50 a gallon. I usually by the Stonyfield plain yogurt for starter. With that it costs me around $3.66 for a gallon of of good yogurt.

I make my yogurt in a cooler too. To me its a crowning moment in time when I take my yogurt out of the cooler and see that it has "yogged" or gotten thick.

I like to add vanilla sometimes but I usually forget. I also like to strain the yogurt to make greek yogurt. We use the whey that comes off the yogurt to make bread. It makes the best bread but I've found that it goes bad faster than regular homemade bread. Fortunately we're a large family and the bread gets eaten pretty quick.
Have a great day!
Dana

February 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Mom23wFA said...

Fresh goat milk doesn't taste "goaty"...
I try to make yogurt as soon I get the milk from the farmer.
We've been making goat milk yogurt for a couple of years for GAPS diet- my kids love it. We also use it with fresh herbs for veggie dips etc. We also like goat milk kefir.
I'm trying to make coconut milk yogurt now, but it separated in the container, not sure why. I'm going to try to strain it and see if it will thicken up.

February 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids and I are on Gaps diet, too! We are still on the Introductory part of the diet but will very soon be transitioning to Full Gaps.

What symptons did your child show to indicate that he/she didn't do well on cow's milk?

I have to post anonymous because I don't have a google account. I've tried to post here a few times but it never went through. I love your blog and found it via Cheeseslave!

Thanks! Tina

February 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant how did you know your child didn't do well on the 24hr cow's yogurt not milk. Thanks! Tina

February 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Hi Tina,
Sorry about the commenting- sometimes Blogger eats comments. The Name/URL thing should let you leave your blog's link if you have a blog.

About goat yogurt- She's always done better with goat than cow (we have a history of cow milk allergy) so I started her on goat just to see, and she was fine. When I gave her a little bit of cow yogurt she got a rash/GI upset. So we're sticking with goat. Pecanbread/SCD recommends trying goat before cow also. I use a lot of Pecanbread resources along side of GAPS.

~~
And yes, I'd love fresh goat milk! Too bad it's illegal to sell it, and thus hard to find, in Montana.

I don't notice much of a goat taste, though some people really do. I suppose it's up to the person.

February 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Raine Saunders said...

Hi Cara - informative post! I would love to make goat yogurt sometime. I am not sure if my family would eat it thought. My husband has a bias against anything goat because he got sick on feta many years ago. I have tried telling him not everything tastes like feta, but he's having trouble reconciling that fact. We make yogurt quite often, here's my results. I am glad you are achieving success on your GAPS!

http://www.agriculturesociety.com/?p=2054

February 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cara,

Thanks for the reply. I've decide that I'm going to seek out raw goat's milk and sell my raw cow's milk shares. So I will make yogurt and kefir from goat's milk; however, I will use ghee and butter. Is your daughter able to tolerate ghee and butter?

I'm definitely going to check out Pecanbread after the boys are off in sleeply land:)

February 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger PaulaB52 said...

I see it often mentioned that using regular store bought milk will not work for yogurt or milk kefir. I'm here to say this is not true. My yogurt sets up quite nice and my milk kefir is not getting as thick as yogurt!

IMO, fresh goat's milk tastes basically like cow's milk.

February 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cara,
If your daughter does just fine on goats milk than there is a VERY strong chance she can handle A2 raw jersey milk & then you could use that for yogurt if you wanted to. The milk she is not tolerating @ the store is A1 milk - my kids can't do it either, but A2 jersey milk is in the same class as goats milk which is also A2. Not one of my 6 kids can handle store milk..we get rashes, gi upset & son, but they totally thrive on A2 jersey milk. We like the taste more over goat milk & can do more w it. My kids can't even handle store butter so we make that too. I place my yogurt in the oven w just the light bulb on & it comes out very thick & creamy. "Brown Cow" yogurt is the starter we use from the store. It makes the creamist yogurt for us. Other brands did not make it as thick & creamy for us. I make about 1 gallon of yogurt a day & just have to start over w a new starter every 3 weeks...

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/FactA2milk.htm

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/09/The-Devil-in-the-Milk.aspx


Jessica

February 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Ghee and butter- yes she can do ghee and she's recently been able to do butter.

A1/A2 - We need to get a cow ;) We don't have A1 in our area that I can find.

March 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean you don't have A2 in your area? You don't want A1 @ all. It is just not good for our bodies. Did you look @ realmilk.com? look for jersey milk & ask them if theirs is 100% pure bred A2 jersey! You can do so much w jersey milk...yogurt, cream cheese, different cheeses,kefir, butter & so on!
Jessica

March 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home