Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Easy Homemade Ketchup

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Easy Homemade Ketchup


The Nourishing Traditions recipe for ketchup has intimidated me, so I was glad to find one without the addition of homemade fish sauce in the GAPS book.

2 Cups bottled tomato juice (Campbell's from Albertson's was 3.79)
Salt and pepper to taste
2-4 cloves garlic (optional)
~Boil above, uncovered (I covered with a sieve to prevent splatters) for quite a while, until it gets to the desired consistency.
~Add honey to taste (I used a couple tablespoons)

Store in the fridge.

Easy! No corn syrup like supermarket ketchup, and it doesn't carry the health food store price tag.  This summer if we get an abundance of home grown tomatoes again I hope to do a bunch of this from fresh tomato juice.

More:
Homemade Mayonnaise
Are you using coconut oil in your cooking yet?
Soaked Wheat Bread: It doesn't have the dryness normally associated with wheat bread. Make in just a few minutes of hands-on time.




Share
Are you using Swagbucks to search and win yet?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nadine said...

I used to make my own ketchup and mayo...and I do still can alot...but having special needs boys has really cut down the time I have to make things and I opt out for organic ketchup in the store...yup expensive...budget is something we need to work on...your recipe is easy enough for me to slip in...thanks...I even have my own tomato juice canned...
Thanks for sharing!

January 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

That's better, with your own tomato juice because you know exactly what's in it, good for you for canning it.

Store tomato juice from concentrate I'm sure is re-constituted with questionable city water (chlorine, fluoride, etc)

January 14, 2010 at 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Fabulous!!! This is something I have wanted to do. How long does it keep?

January 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I'm not sure how long it keeps in the fridge. I think I'm going to try freezing it in small jam jars, though, I'm pretty sure it'll freeze just fine and then I can thaw a few weeks' worth at a time.

January 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger In Word Adorning said...

The ketchup looks easy enough! I like that. I'm going to try it. Let's pray for a bumper crop of tomatoes before the hornworms get them!!!

January 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home