Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: A nourishing meal for a friend

Friday, December 11, 2009

A nourishing meal for a friend

Soaked wheat rolls (same as the bread, just made into rolls), chicken veggie soup, carrot ginger apple juice, crabapple jelly.


I love feeding friends who like and understand real food. I often forget how 'weird' we eat until we have people over for dinner and I'm scrambling to figure out what I can serve that's real food but isn't too 'weird'. I usually settle on burritos with homemade refried beans, brown rice, organic beef, veggies, and real cheese.

But in this case, my friend understands and appreciates the healthfullness of soaked wheat rolls, chicken soup made from homemade stock, jelly with local fruit, and the fresh pressed juice.

And she knows that I'm just using the jars as storage containers, it doesn't mean that the food is shelf-stable :o) Sometimes people visit and think that I can a lot of stuff. Nope, I don't can much, but I do use mason jars instead of plastic containers a lot!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nadine said...

your food looks perfect to me and would love to it just as you make it for your kids...

We eat "weird" too...
and I struggle right now having my father living with us not liking my "real" food and having to cook with white flours ...ugh....
Not a great example to my little kiddies...but tis a season and we shall sooner then later go back fully to my wierdness...it is not all gone...just having to add meals of white potatoes when I would not be serving that if it weren't for my dad living here...

Love your blog!!

Have a great week end

Nadine

December 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Thanks Nadine!
My hubby likes some things refined (but he's coming around), I don't think it's bad for my kids to see us making different choices and that we can use self control in our own homes too. He does support what I'm doing with the kids, so that helps too.

December 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Briana said...

I finally tried your bread recipe. Everyone loved it! I think they like it better than the soaked bread we usually make and it will be nicer for sandwiches! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your recipe.

December 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Sarah Schatz - menus for limited diets said...

I love using glass mason jars for a lot of food storage as well. I make my goat yogurt in them every week.
I love the idea of making a meal like this as a gift for someone. It is beautiful, satisfying, nourishing and simple.
thanks!
Sarah

December 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home