Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: What do you use coconut oil for?

Monday, November 16, 2009

What do you use coconut oil for?


What do you use coconut oil for? I use it for everything. And now that I know that eating fat is okay, I love using it to cook with and adding it to my food so that I don't get hungry so quickly. This is a picture of my gallon bucket of coconut oil that I got from Azure Standard mid-October. It's now mid-November and half gone.

We're rarely using butter right now since my little one is dairy free, so I use this to cook eggs in, over squash instead of butter, to saute veggies in for stir fry, and in my baking a lot of the time. I've also switched from using olive oil in things that will be heated, so I'm using this in hubby's bread and pizza dough and stuff, where before I used olive oil.

I stir a teaspoon or two in my coffee in the morning, and I feel like it helps prevent the blood sugar dip that coffee had given me in the past. A couple tablespoons added to your smoothie will keep you satisfied for hours, like a meal.

As far as cost goes, this gallon was $55 for raw cold-pressed extra virgin. On Amazon it's more expensive, Wilderness Family Naturals Coconut Oil, Raw, Cold Press, Extra Virgin, but there are other options that aren't raw. I might buying a smaller container that's raw to use in things that aren't going to be heated, like smoothies, then a larger container of Expeller Pressed, 1 Gallon (not raw) for all the cooking that I use coconut oil in if I didn't just get the huge bucket from Azure. When looking to buy coconut oil, as with everything else, it's best to get it in the least processed form possible.

Update: I found a great deal on Coconut oil and switched brands due to cost savings- learn more here

More:
Eat Fat Lose Fat- more about coconut oil
About Olive Oil
Think it's out of your budget? Check out my tips for finding more money for groceries.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger TurtleOak said...

Thanks for the ideas - I've been working on switching to more coconut oil usage over olive oil and love the idea of using it in bread - maybe I'll even get a chance to get a loaf going today to give it a try!

November 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

I love using coconut oil! I agree. I use it for sauteeing veggies, or cooking eggs, and I even use it melted over oven-popped popcorn! It's DELICIOUS! Everyone loves it.

November 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try greenpasture.org I think they have it for 33.00 a gallon right now. It is raw and amazing.
We love coconut oil.

November 17, 2009 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I've used their ghee/coconut oil before. Thanks for the tip!

November 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Healthy Oil Guy said...

Not only is virgin coconut oil an excellent cooking oil, you can also use it as a skin moisturizer and for moisturizing dry hair. I apply coconut oil to my skin everyday after showering. I used to suffer from dry skin, but since using coconut oil my skin stays soft and smooth.

November 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger jubilee said...

Is coconut oil widely available? Great tip.

November 18, 2009 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Thanks!
Coconut oil is available at health food stores, but I've found it cheaper to order online or through a co-op. The health benefits are worth it!

November 18, 2009 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Life is Good said...

My hubby has suddenly gotten on a coconut trip. I don't mind using it, but I can still pick out the flavor, which reminds me of soap, so I am still getting used to it. Do you keep that big bucket in your fridge? or how do you store it?

November 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I just keep it in my pantry. I store it in a smaller container now, since I got tired of opening the big bucket 37 times a day ~grin~

November 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

i think you read my mind! i was just about to ask some coconut questions! i am loving it in my coffee and shakes. haven't tried the cooking part yet, but baby steps! :)

November 18, 2009 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger kc said...

Since I am allergic to corn, I had a terrible time finding moisturizers. I tried virgin coconut oil on my face and I love it! I won't ever use anything else now. I love Tropical Traditions virgin coconut oil. They also carry coconut cream concentrate that can be added to water to create coconut milk. I use it because it has no other added ingredients (corn) like canned coconut milks do. The coconut bar soap is also a dream come true for corn and soy allergic people - it is almost impossible to find personal hygiene products without corn, believe it or not.

Oh, and I use coconut oil for making things like tortillas since it substitutes so well for shortening (corn). Pork taste delicious sauted in CO and we made fudge using CO, raw cacao powder and raw honey. It is awesome stuff. It is antifungal and antibacterial so it is a great thing to add to your diet during cold and flu season.

November 18, 2009 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Stacey, you'll get there. You could try subbing it for butter or other oil when you bake too. Good for you for using it in smoothies and coffee! I'm proud of you :)

KC, We are avoiding a lot of stuff right now due to allergies, and I've found that just using simple ingredients works the best too. If I try to hunt down a commercial product without chemicals/milk/gluten, I spend way too much time reading labels and end up paying way too much. So plain vinegar, baking soda, coconut oil is what we use for most things :)

November 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have read that some ppl get heart palpitations and other adverse side effects from using coconut oil - have you has any issues?

I am interesting in trying it but can do without one more side effect :)

November 19, 2009 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Hmm, I've never heard of that. I did get nauseous when I first tried adding coconut oil to my diet- because I started with like 4 tablespoons in a smoothie. Now I can use that much without getting nauseous, but I had to work up to it slowly. My system just wasn't used to that much fat at one time.

November 19, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Jane said...

Interesting you should mention nausea, as I tried one tablespoon of EV coconut oil in hot water as a drink, and found I felt extremely nauseous about an hour later. I haven't tried it since. Though I do like coconut in some things (eg macaroons!), I do find taking it by the spoonful and cooking with it very unpalatable. Maybe it's a detox thing - the nausea? I've ordered some Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream (hard to get here in Australia), and will try Cara's trick of adding it to coffee, as that sounds nice.

March 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home