Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Golabki, pigs in a blanket, Krautwickel, grumpkies...

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Golabki, pigs in a blanket, Krautwickel, grumpkies...


Golabki, pigs in a blanket, Krautwickel, grumpkies... these were all names that people called this dish when I posted to facebook that I was going to be making this recipe for dinner. I had never heard of it before, but found it on Real Food Wednesday a couple weeks ago.

After seeing The Modern Milkmaid's detailed instructions for Golabki (stuffed cabbage), I thought these might take a while to make. Actually they didn't take long at all, assembly was easy. The only change I made was that I used lentils instead of white rice to make them GAPS friendly and used two pounds of ground beef instead of one to feed us for more than one meal. I should have soaked the lentils, they weren't quite done after two hours of simmering, but they were done after re-heating the next day. And I should have added more sea salt to the meat.

To re-heat the next day (we don't have a microwave) I just put them in a sauce pan with some chicken broth and let simmer for half an hour.

This will be added to our list of favorite winter meals, though. Really good, and a nice change of pace from the same 'ol same 'ol.



More:
More winter meal ideas

Have you seen me on Twitter?
And Facebook?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

Those look good. Need to try them sometime. I fermented grape leaves this spring since we have grapes now. We made stuffed grape leaves, yummy. Similar to the stuffed cabbage, I left the rice out of some of them and they were still good.

How's the diet going? Hanging in there? I'm thinking about trying it with my Hannah after our vacation. Her eczema acts up every winter. Probably time to solve the problem. Have you noticed any improvements?

November 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger TurtleOak said...

I seriously need to make these and soon. Think I should go add cabbage to my grocery list right now :)

November 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yum! My mom made stuffed cabbage every great now and then- I should do it. :-)

November 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home