Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Homemade Refried Beans

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Homemade Refried Beans

We love these refried beans. They're cheap and organic- super healthy. We use them for tacos, burritos, bean dip, and put them in quesadillas. I do them in the crock pot, it's a kind of long process but like most of our nourishing foods, it has very little hands-on time.

First I put about 3-4 cups of dried pinto beans from my health food store's bulk section in the bottom of the crock pot. Cover with filtered water. Let soak overnight.

Drain.

Fill again to mostly to the top.

Cover, cook on low overnight


Drain again.

Smash with a wooden spoon
I add quite a bit of chicken broth, both for it's health benefits and because I have it on hand from making my crockpot chicken. I've used water before too.
Add enough water or stock to make it runny, then cover and cook again for a few hours. My chicken stock has a layer of fat at the top, so I use that as my fat. It will thicken up.

I keep my refried beans in the fridge, and I usually add sea salt as I'm cooking with it. Not much to look at, but we like them :)

Part of Pennywise Platter Thursday @ the Nourishing Gourmet (my favorite Nourishing Traditions weekly carnival!) and Kitchen Stewardship's Super Foods Carnival (check out how easy it is to pack a nutritional punch into every day meals)

Other posts:

My weekly crockpot chicken, lunchmeat and broth

Other slow food that takes a while, but doesn't have a bunch of hands on work- Soaked Wheat Bread

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger stacey said...

I can totally do that! And refried beans go over real well around here!

October 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet said...

I love the addition of broth! I bet it makes it taste great. Thanks for sharing!

October 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Millie said...

What a great way to make refried beans. I love the broth addition too.

October 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

I didn't take a photo of my refried beans because I thought the same thing as you - they're pretty ugly! :) I like the simplicity here.

Thank you for joining the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! Next week’s theme is Un-Processed Foods, or things you could buy in the store but choose to make at home. Hope to see you back!
Katie

October 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

Great idea! I'm always on the lookout for other creative crockpot recipes. And I'm majorly missing Mexican food since moving to the UK, so will definitely try these.
(If you're interested I recently posted about how to make yogurt in the crockpot, also super easy! http://vintagesavoirfaire.com/archives/50)

October 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I am curious as to why cook on low overnight - is there a benefit to cooking the beans so long? Thanks!! :D

January 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Cooking them that long makes them nice and soft so they mash easily. I like my crockpot, but they'd go a little faster on the stove.

February 1, 2010 at 4:36 AM  
Blogger Autumn said...

When cooking the beans, add a bunch of chopped onions, a little garlic, and some dried peppers. Remove the peppers before smooshing the beans. Delicious.

April 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home