Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Homemade GFCF organic fried chicken- menu change

Friday, October 9, 2009

Homemade GFCF organic fried chicken- menu change

Organic chicken breasts were on sale at Costco. We haven't had homemade chicken nuggets in a long time since I normally buy whole chickens and I just cook those in the crockpot. I was excited about my find, so I switched from our planned out menu to accommodate.

I marinated the chicken in red pepper salad dressing over night
Cut into strips- across the 'grain' of the meat
Put some gluten free pancake mix in a gallon ziplock- about 2 cups. Regular unbleached flour works as well, I've never tried whole wheat before.



I'd put about one chicken breast-worth of meat in the ziplock at a time and shook to coat. Laid in a single layer in a big pyrex dish while I shook up the rest of the chicken.

On some, I dipped a second time in a beaten egg, then again shook it in the flour. This gave it more of a breading once fried. The ones only dipped once were fine too.

With the flour mixture on, I covered and returned to the fridge until dinner. I've found that doing the breading ahead of time and then letting it sit keeps it from falling off when you fry it. When I try and fry it right away, the breading falls off in the oil.

To fry, I used olive oil because I didn't want to use up all my good coconut oil on frying. Keeping the oil hot (but not smoking) keeps the chicken crispy and from being grease-soaked and soggy. Fried until golden brown, turned, and fried on that side until golden brown as well.

Hubby asked what I did to make them so tender and juicy, which I find amusing since the guy lived on chili from a can, beer, and McDonald's when I met him ~grin~ He's become quite the food connoisseur. Anyway, I'm guessing it's the organic chicken, we find that organic is almost always way better than conventional. I haven't done homemade nuggets with organic chicken before.


More:

Crockpot Chicken Posts
Menu ideas for Fall/Winter

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

That sounds really good. I never would have thought to marinate the chicken first.

October 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Organic Chicken does taste better - in fact that is the key - it has taste! Same with free range eggs - I never feel I need to salt them - they have flavor too! Will definately have to try these - love the idea to bread them up ahead of time.

October 9, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

yum!

October 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home