Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Ginger tea for GAPS and sore throats

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ginger tea for GAPS and sore throats

1.25 pound ginger root from Walmart $3.88

Part of the GAPS diet is ginger tea with honey. Here is a whole ginger root, I've never bought one this big. It's not organic, but the organic ginger roots that I've seen lately are shriveled sad little things- and expensive. So we're doing not organic right now.

Ginger tea is warming for fall mornings, and is also a natural sore throat remedy.

Put filtered water in a sauce pan to boil.
Break off a knob of the ginger, about thumb-sized.
Peel with a knife and slice thinly (I've been using a steak knife for slicing because it gets through the fibers easily) into rounds.
Simmer in water for about 5 minutes.
Pour into your cup, I use a fork to hold back the ginger rounds.
Add honey to taste.


This real food fresh tea is a part of Real Food Wednesday!

More staying healthy this winter posts:

Chicken Stock for real homemade chicken soup is easy to make, and it really is healing to prevent and heal illness.

My thoughts on food vs supplements for immune function

Nourishing meal and snack ideas to work with busy winter schedules

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

OpenID localnourishment said...

Mmm. I love a good cup of ginger tea in the morning, even without honey!

October 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Lisa Sargese said...

omg when I first looked at that picture I thought it was a white chocolate teddy bear you were holding!! see where my head's at?? lol

October 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger alexis said...

I love ginger tea! That ginger root is possibly the biggest ginger root I've ever seen in my life!
I've heard that this GAPS diet is supposed to be good for children with autism--what do you know about that?

October 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger THE CELLULITE ANALYST said...

Ginger tea is so refreshing. Someone told me a tip about peeling ginger root with a spoon instead of a knife and it did seem to make the task easier (at least for me). Just thought I would pass that little tidbit along...

October 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Christiane said...

I had some ginger root that was going to go bad a few weeks ago so I made tea with it and added some of our local honey.
I think it's great that you are trying the GAPS diet. Thanks for keeping us informed. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

October 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cara,
I can't find your e mail address. Sorry!
Julia the doll never made it back. I am wondering if she got lost in the mail....? What do you think?
Jessica

October 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I love ginger tea and honey. I have never tried to make it "homemade". thanks for the info!

October 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I had forgotten about doing this! I have done it before b/c ginger calms a stomach and Brian (though he gets better as we change our diet more) has alot of stomach reactions to foods, so I've given it to him.
When my kids are sick I do the same thing with garlic- well, without the honey. I think it makes a difference.

October 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

That tip to peel ginger with a spoon works so much better! I'm not hacking away at my ginger as I peel it. Thanks!

October 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Since you mentioned Ginger, sore throats ,and colds, I thought I'd mention my Ginger, red chili flakes, garlic, chicken stock remedy for cold etc. Steep a 3 inch sliced piece of Ginger, 4 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or more if you like hot foods) in homemade chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste. Really works for congestion!! Ginger tea is also greet for morning sickness and nausea

May 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home