Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Homemade Lactofermented Ginger Ale

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Homemade Lactofermented Ginger Ale



From Nourishing Traditions, but in true-to-me form modified to suit the ingredients I had on hand. Sugar rather than rapadura, lemon juice rather than lime juice, and cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough lemon juice or ginger.

I used

1/2 cup peeled and chopped or grated ginger
2 tablespoons whey
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Put in a jar, fill to within one inch of the top with filtered water. Shake to mix. Allow to sit out to lactoferment for 3 days, transfered to the fridge. She says it's best sipped in small quantities at room temperature rather than being chilled.

Tried it a few days later. Ahem, I think it's alcoholic. Didn't give it to my girlie girl. A little strong to drink straight, so I watered it down, I want to try it with sparkling water as recommended. It's good, not the cornsyrupy sweet of commercial ginger ale, but it's good.

(finished)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger alexis said...

Can't wait to try this one--LOVE ginger ale! Do you think it will be ok for me since I'm 8 months pregnant?

September 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen said...

We love ginger beer and other lacto-fermented drinks. They feel like such a nice treat but are so good with all those beneficial bacteria.

September 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Pregnant, I'd personally stay away from it. I'm okay with a little (half a beer) of alcohol when pregnant, but if I don't know the alcohol content I'm not comfortable with it. Just my opinion.

Yeah, lactofermented drinks are a pretty cool way to get the beneficial bacteria!

September 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any way to make this without whey?

September 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home