Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Apricot Kernels and vitamin b17

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Apricot Kernels and vitamin b17

Know what these are? Apricot pits. We found yummy organic apricots at our health food store, reasonably priced, on our last errand day. We ate them in the car and saved the pits in a baggie to take home and crack open.

I learned about apricot kernels, B17, and cancer a couple years ago, and since then have been keeping my apricot pits, cracking them open, and either eating the nuts (they are a little bitter) or dicing them up and adding to things. We added these to tuna, just to sneak them in.


Link:
The Politics behind curing cancer with vitamin supplements


Another Post:
Buckwheat also is a source of b17

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen said...

I'm thinking of ordering some kernels, but until then we have cherry pits which are also good source of B17. I remember the first time I ate one - with such fear and trepidation that now makes me giggle.

September 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger GG said...

Careful, Apricot (and other fruit) varieties are not selected as they were in ancient times. Chinese growers selected traits of the fruit and the pit. Modern day fruits that are not selected in this way may contain high levels of negative substances.
You should have your tree/source tested if you are serious about eating them. My grandfather went to ER for arsenic poisoning from his apricot tree's kernels.
(bummer - I know) :(

September 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I didn't know that they used to select for both parts, but yeah, I googled apricot kernels (because I thought they were toxic) and apparently there was a woman who got cyanide toxicity from them. So be careful!

February 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home