Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Stevia sweetened Iced Tea

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stevia sweetened Iced Tea

We've been using stevia to sweeten our iced tea for a refreshing afternoon drink. I haven't had diet Pepsi in well over 3 years, but I *still* crave one almost every afternoon. This is my real foods substitute.

I like a variety of herbal teas to mix it up a bit. This is Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk tea, chai, and Tangerine Orange. In the morning I put one of each tea bag in a quart mason jar, fill with filtered water, and set on the south-facing porch. By noon it's ready. The stevia sweetens a LOT, one packet is plenty for the whole jar's worth of tea. We got this stevia at Walmart of all places.

I had tried stevia in my coffee and seriously I had to dump it down the drain. It's a sweet taste, but it isn't the same as sugar (now I use a little coconut milk in my coffee). I find it works well to sweeten bread if I want to skip the honey, and I like it in the tea, but definitely test a little bit before using it in a huge batch of something to make sure you like it.

I don't like doing a bunch at once since it takes up too much room in my fridge. So daily works for me.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Why do you use "stevia"? What is it exactly? Thanks!

August 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Ha, should have clarified! Stevia is a natural sweetner. It's much sweeter than sugar, so it's kind of like nutra sweet in that it doesn't take up much 'bulk' like sugar does (so it's bad in recipes) but it's good in stuff where you don't need the volume of sugar, like iced tea. It's an herb, I think it's the leaf of the stevia plant. It's virtually calorie free.

August 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home