Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Reheating Leftovers without a microwave

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reheating Leftovers without a microwave

The only thing I missed about our microwave when we got rid of it nearly 3 years ago was reheating leftovers. Little plastic tupperwares full of steamy yesterday's food, in 45 seconds. I've adapted, and like making fermented wheat bread, it's worth the wait to do it right.

I stopped using the microwave because we're just not convinced of the safety of it. So many things that were 'proven' safe in our culture were really rammed through sketchy safety tests prematurely, in the spirit of greed. And later they are found to have been harmful, after they have already affected many many lives.

I had leftovers, mostly meat, from the shepherd's pie last week that I wanted to eat for lunch.

We put some butter in a stainless steel skillet, added our pressed garlic (this is the garlic press I have) , then added our meat over medium heat.

Next I put my stir fry veggies in, covered, and allowed to heat through for about 15 minutes.
A side note: That huge tub of peeled garlic that's available from Costco goes bad in the fridge in about a week, and even if you use a lot of garlic that's a lot to use in a week. But, if you keep it in your freezer, it's still easily pressable and stays good for a long time. I thought the freezer might turn it into little rock-hard garlic pellets, but it doesn't.

This Real Food works for me!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyss said...

Yum! Looks delicious! I also don't have a microwave and have gotten creative with leftovers. I've got a couple stainless steel pans of various sizes plus a toaster oven that I love. I also tend to not eat "leftover", but like this recipe, re-make food into something new.

Great tip about the garlic!

August 6, 2009 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

Love your post. We have a microwave, but it's basically a display model 'til we can yank it out.

Thanks!
Kelly

August 7, 2009 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Awesome..the leftovers look amazing.I am trying to use my microwave less because of health concerns.

August 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home