Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Orange Juice Millet Porridge

Monday, August 17, 2009

Orange Juice Millet Porridge


I heard about this millet porridge when I was a nanny, and updated it to make it more digestible (and it is!) by soaking overnight with a dab of whey.

Orange juice isn't recommended in either The Maker's Diet or Nourishing Traditions, but I think it's okay because it's not taken in huge quantities. The flavor is nice and different.

Overnight soak:
3/4 cup millet (I bought mine in bulk)
1-1/2 cups filtered water
1 tablespoon whey (or skip if you don't have it)
2 tablespoons OJ concentrate. I used Great Value (Walmart brand). See, I'm not hard core about this whole eating thing am I?

I turned it on medium-low and cooked covered about 30 minutes. Added a good amount of butter (I still need to do a 'fat' post, but those informational posts take a long time... Here's one from Sally Fallon) and a drizzle of the last of the maple syrup. Ate with some scrambled omega 3 eggs.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jessica said...

That's a nice recipe. It reminds me of a recipe I learned as an SDA.

Instead of OJ we used pineapple juice and instead of millet, we used oatmeal. The pineapple juice broke down the starches so well we could eat it raw, although we could have cooked it. The idea was to have an easy cold cereal that we could eat on Sabbath mornings. We would just throw some nuts and raisins in before dishing it into our bowls for breakfast. The acid from the juice also breaks down the gluten in the oats into something more digestible.

August 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home