Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Natural Hair and Body Care

Friday, August 28, 2009

Natural Hair and Body Care

A collection of my easy, cheap, natural alternatives to the normally chemical-filled products we use every day.

Homemade deodorant: I've been using this for a while now, and really like it. I more 'dab' it on than roll it on like conventional deodorant. It works better (on smell) than any other natural brand I had tried. Does nothing for dampness, but I believe we're designed to sweat for a reason, so I have no desire to stop perspiration.

Baking Soda as shampoo and vinegar as a conditioner: Again, impressed with these natural alternatives. I've been converted and now use my Herbal Essenes shampoo to clean the toilet. ~grin~ Not quite sure what to do with my remaining conditioner. I'll also put a dab of vinegar on my wash cloth while in the shower and use that to clean the shower doors on my way out. I had heard that hair can start 'rebelling' to the treatment about a month into it, but I haven't had any problem. I did end up using regular shampoo once because someone carried my baking soda out of the tub with him and took it down stairs, and I still had the regular stuff in there when I took a shower. It left my hair all frizzy and staticky and I couldn't wait to re-wash with baking soda to calm it down. I'll see if I can find a recent picture of me with my 'no poo' hair, just so you can confirm that it's not greasy or dull or ucky.

Tooth soap: Still love how this makes my teeth feel so clean. Still planning on updating in a few months on whether I can feel surface cavities remineralization or not.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I read some where that if you accidentally dry your wool sweater you can soak it in hair conditioner to relax the wool and stretch it back out to size? Have not tried this but something to keep in mind?!?!?

August 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Good idea!

August 29, 2009 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara, what do you use for moisturizer? sunscreen? I'm going to try making some of my own body wash using Kirk's Castile bars (grated, melted in water, prob add a little baking soda & oil for fragrance). Or I may just be lazy & use it in the bar form. Have you heard of using Kirk's to brush teeth?

November 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Moisturizer- if my skin is dry (my face never is), I use almond oil or coconut oil. A little greasy, but I guess I just don't mind. It's easy and I have it on hand ;)

Sunscreen I don't use, and I don't use it on my kids either. I have the Burt's Bee's 'natural' just in case we get caught in a place where they would get sun burned because we can't get into the shade, but so far I've only had to use it once (on a hike) in the past 3 years. I believe that sunburn is a God-given warning to get out of the sun. Sunscreen may prevent the burn, but it might just be masking the body's warning sign of too much sun. Most sunscreens have a bunch of chemicals in them that I'm not comfortable with as well. We use hats, and build up our sun exposure gradually in the spring.

Kirk's castile bars- I haven't heard of that particular brand, but if it's just olive oil soap, it should work just fine for teeth or showering :)

November 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering about using coconut oil for moisturizer! It seemed too simple - but makes sense. I have found a website for a company I think is called Tropical Traditions for coconut oil. They are running several specials until Nov. 22, including 1 gal organic virgin & 1 gal expeller pressed for $100 or 2 gals expeller pressed for $50. I can't remember the details but I'm trying to get my Paypal account padded from ebay sales so I can place an order!
Sunscreen is something I've never needed much, as long as I gradually build up my tan. And my 5 year old daughter is the same way. However, we live in Florida and my son is SO fair skinned I think he can get burned in the shade! SPF clothing helps but I have to use something on his face & arms when we boat or are at the beach. If you hear of something good, let me know:) I will be researching this during the winter months to be better prepared for summer's worst! Thanks!!!
P.S. Kirk's Castile soap is a natural coconut oil soap, old company, since 1850's. Website is kirksnatural.com

November 17, 2009 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Yeah, a boat is somewhere where sunscreen might be needed. Zinc oxide is supposed to be okay, but I haven't looked into it. Tropical Traditions - I'm hosting a giveaway for them sometime soon- as soon as I can get the post up ;) So check back and enter!

November 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Shea butter makes a great moisturizer. Good tip about the shampoo to clean the toilet; I bought some on super sale and it bothers me so much that I can't even use it. I was figuring the rest of the family could use it, but I think I'd rather use it to clean the house.

My hair gets so dry that vinegar isn't enough of a conditioner...any other tips?

January 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

I bet the vinegar would depend on your climate too. I think ACV is more moisturizing, though. Something else I've done is rub just a drop of almond oil in my palms, then into the ends of my damp hair. That gets rid of flyaways for me and might help with the moisturizing? A little goes a long way though.

January 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home