Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: homemade clif bars recipe

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

homemade clif bars recipe

I did these again, and even measured for you. And left out the chocolate to make them really real food. They're good, and best of all they're filling enough to be an easy substantial snack. Nutrition info at the end of the post.

Ingredients:
4 cups rolled oats
1-1/2 cups crispy pecans (I suppose regular pecans could work too, I just had these)
1-1/2 cup dates packed, approx 15 large ones (see below)
1/4 cup coconut milk
4 tablespoons grade B maple syrup (I would think that honey would work as well)
1/2 tsp sea salt

Blend in food processor in order listed above. Press into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan, bake at 325 degrees 30 minutes. Allow to cool for a bit, then cut into bars. Allow to cool completely before packaging.


Crispy pecans
mixture of pecans and oats. Sorry it's blurry, but I like to see the pictures of consistency when I read recipes that are made in the food processor
Pitted dates. I got these from Costco, they're soft and whole. I had to take the pits out. I've seen, for lack of a better description, date pellets before that are pretty hard and don't have the pits. If you have those, I'd pour boiling water over them in a bowl, let sit for an hour or so, drain, and then measure out 1-1/2 cups so they add the moisture.
date/oat/pecan mixture
after adding the wet ingredients

Using a calorie counter online, cut into 12 bars, each bar has:

243 calories total
81 calories from fat
9 g fat
2.2 g saturated fat
36.3 g carbohydrate
5.1 g dietary fiber
14.3 g sugar (no refined sugar though)
7.2 g protein

Too low in protein and fat to be a good breakfast on it's own, but I made these for snacks, and I think they're just fine for that, for our family at least. I gave my toddler 1/2 of one for a snack today, and it seemed to hold her for a while.

Related posts:
About home made Clif Bars
Improving a biscotti recipe



Works for me...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try this. My hubby eats cliff bars but the cost is ridiculous - $0.99 each at Publix.

August 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger copeland_carrie said...

This recipe is great! My kids LOVE Z-bars, but they are so full of processed-y stuff...I used your recipe and added cocoa powder, increasing the coconut milk a bit. I made a simple glaze, equal parts cocoa, powdered sugar and coconut milk and drizzled over the top to make these similar to the Z-bars. My kids can't get enough, and I know that (for the most part) they are good for them. Plus, to me they taste like a brownie...divine! Thanks so much!

February 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

That sounds great! LOVE the glaze idea!

February 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger The Ricks Family said...

Would I have to use pecans or would almonds work? Also what about prunes vs. dates?

February 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Yes, I think those would all work. The recipe is very flexible!

February 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger ritu said...

I am right now making this, my dough is kind of sticky, is it ok ? I hope all comes out well. !! Thanks for the recipe.

February 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger ritu said...

OMG...The bread/Bar is AWESOME !! I am going to make it again. thank youuu !!

February 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home