Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: home made natural deoderant with baking soda, coconut oil, and rosemary oil

Friday, August 14, 2009

home made natural deoderant with baking soda, coconut oil, and rosemary oil

I'd read somewhere about people using baking soda and coconut oil as a natural deodorant. I'd been hanging on to an empty Toms Of Maine Lavender deodorant container for whenever I got around to figuring out how to make my own. I did a few days ago, and I was surprised at how well it worked. Here's what I did:


Coconut oil from Walmart, because I sure didn't want to put expensive cold pressed organic coconut oil on my armpits. But coconut oil does have antimicrobial properties and is a solid oil, making it good for deodorant.

Rosemary oil because I kept forgetting to order lavender essential order when I ordered anything from an online health food store, and I sure was not interested in paying the $7.99 it cost at our local health food store (online it's about $3-4 for half an ounce). So I settled on rosemary essential oil at $3.79 for 1/3 of an ounce. Rosemary has a slightly medicinal smell, which works well in a deoderant. The only other oils I had at home were eucalyptus, orange, lemon, camphor, and tea tree, all which I thought would smell odd in my underarms.

*Note: It's said that Rosemary oil in excessive quantities may harm a pregnancy, so you need to make your own decision about this if you're pregnant. I'm pretty sure that Lavender oil is generally considered safe, but please do your own research. I don't really think that this is an excessive amount, but you want to research anyway and see what you're comfortable with.


I put about 3/4 a cup of baking soda in a bowl, melted come coconut oil, and mixed the melted coconut oil and 30 drops of rosemary oil in until it was mixed through. I thought that by melting the coconut oil I'd get a firmer deoderant stick once it set up.

Backed out the deoderant tube. Didn't bother cleaning the dab of Tom's left in the bottom, just left it there.
Filled it with the baking soda mixture and tapped the bottom on the counter to get all the bubbles out.
Let it sit over night to harden up, and it did.

It's soft still, so I just raised it up a little bit to use it and didn't press hard. It worked really well for me, better than the Tom's. I thought it might leave residue because it's baking soda, especially on a dark shirt, but I didn't notice any and I wore a more tight fitting dark navy tee shirt just to see how bad it would be.

I'm happy with it and glad I tried it out.

Related posts:
Tooth Care
Hair Care

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Okay - this has really perked my interest. I keep reading how awful "anti-perspirants" are for you and I need to stop using them. I am such a sweaty person though! Do you miss not using an anti-perspirant at all and how did you adjust to the change?

August 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I'm pretty sweaty too, and I'm for sure not one who can smell fresh without anything ;) I just got over my pride, and decided if people were offended that my armpits were a little damp after I'd been outside in the summer, were they really people who's opinion I should value?

Also, a good family friend died of breast cancer last summer, leaving her two high school aged children, so that kinda made me stop quickly.

August 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Tiffany said...

How much coconut oil did you use? I am trying to get the recipe right so I can try it! :)

August 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Tiffany, I didn't measure, just added the minimum amount to wet all the baking soda. I'm trying to measure more often for my blog, but it takes a little more time so I don't always have a chance. Thanks for stopping by, though!

August 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Mrs. D said...

I use a similar recipe that I got from Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking, and it's amazing stuff. The natural brands never did anything for me, and I just couldn't bear to go around smelling like a hippie :-), so whenever I left the house, I used regular antiperspirant, but this stuff works even better. The recipe I use also includes cornstarch, which I've noticed allows me to perspire, but quickly wicks it away, so I'm not damp all day. I also added Shea butter, which helps it set better and not melt in the heat, and makes my skin incredibly soft, which has helped with shaving. I used lavender and tea tree to scent it, and the tea tree actually smells really good and is great for keeping underarms smelling fresh. I've shared it with a few friends and they all love it. My husband does too, which is really saying something. Anyway, all this to say that you might want to try adding cornstarch to help with sweating. :-)

September 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger June said...

Your deodorant recipe sounds really good. I'm with you about not using those nasty chemical deodorants. I use Manuka oil as a deodorant. I use about 8 drops under each arm, neat. And it works like a charm. There's enough antibacterial stuff in the essential oil to eliminate any perspiration smell(it's really the bacteria growing in the sweat that makes a smell). I don't think I smell like a hippie; but if I do, there's worse.

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger June said...

Your deodorant recipe sounds really good. I'm with you about not using those nasty chemical deodorants. I use Manuka oil as a deodorant. I use about 8 drops under each arm, neat. And it works like a charm. There's enough antibacterial stuff in the essential oil to eliminate any perspiration smell(it's really the bacteria growing in the sweat that makes a smell). I don't think I smell like a hippie; but if I do, there's worse.

January 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hi Mrs. D -
How much Shea butter did you add to your recipe?
Thank you,
JenE

February 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Edie said...

I have done this without any essential oil, and it worked well too. I couldn't get the "consistency" just right often enough, though, to use in the old deod. container functionally. So that combined with being lazy, I started just rubbing coconut oil directly on to my armpit and then dipping my finger tips into the baking soda and patting a light layer on top...works just as well (really well!) and no mixing or forethought needed :) I just keep a small tub (old yogurt containers) of each in the bathroom and refill as needed, so I have my "bathroom" supply. I also then use the CO for moisturizer as needed after the shower, and the BS for cleaning.

May 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

Well that totally works! I have a big container of baking soda for various things on the counter in my bathroom right now ;) Useful stuff!

May 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home