Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Affordable Organic Lunch Meat

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Affordable Organic Lunch Meat


I finally got around to weighing my bowl that I keep my crockpot chicken lunch meat in so that once it's all picked off the bones I could figure out my price per pound.

My bowl is 2 lbs 3.5 ounces, and after it was filled with one chicken's worth of meat it was 3 lbs 13.5 ounces. Yielding 1 lb, 10 ounces, right? They come in a package of 2, this package was 21.35, so 21.35/2~ 10.60 for 26 ounces of meat.

That's 0.40 cents an ounce, comparable with the regular prepared nitrate-laden lunch meat in our local grocery store.

Do some of you do 'price books' to keep track of costs at your grocery store? Meredith at Like Merchant Ships explains what a price book is here. I've tried them at various times, but I am better able to save money by just simplifying my life and generally buying the same thing month-to-month. But I do pay attention to the price per pound/ounce at the store, when comparing the value of what I'm buying, though not necessary in price-book format. For example, the frozen blueberries at Costco are a bit more per ounce than the frozen mixed berries, so we usually just choose the mixed berries and have mixed berry muffins rather than plain blueberries. Fruit I keep under $2/pound, and I compare the price per ounce on cheese. How about you?

More:
How I simplify our menus and grocery shopping
Making stock from the chicken bones to use throughout the week
Have a baby? Pregnant? Just curious? This week I'm doing a bunch of baby posts!

This post is going to be a part of next week's Pennywise Platter Thursdays at The Nourishing Gourmet, Real Food Wednesday, and Fight Back Friday

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Stefan, Sarah and Lukka said...

thanks for stopping by and commenting about The China Study. I have also looked at Nourishing Traditions and although I love the variety and wholeness of the food, I was utterly convinced after reading the research by one of the top nutritionists (researcher) in the world. The studies show that a whole foods, plant based diet can lower risk and even eradicate big diseases like heart disease, diabetes and cancer if followed. It is a jaw-dropper and I totally recommend it. Although it is sometimes hard initially to make teh switch, I have become very creative in the kitchen and my taste buds have even changed! (i.e. not needing a lot of salt for flavoring, etc.)
I really encourage you to check it out!
PS-loved the post on Keeper Of the Home!
Sarah M

August 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

The china study.. I wrote a review going up to chapter 9 on it. I think I'll post it at
http://abirthrevolution.com/

Warning: I don't have a lot of positive things to say about this book!

But thank you for the interesting info on the price book. We aren't so methodical about such things, I'm afraid! :-P

August 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Sarah, thanks for the comment. I do still want to read it, like I said on your blog. Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to have to go travel around to different cultures and see for myself how healthy they are and what they eat! The problem I have with low fat/low salt is that I feel run down, tired, and not necessarily hungry but always craving something when I tried to eat that way.

Jessica, I look forward to reading your review! I'm not methodical enough to do a price book either :) Your Breastfeeding interview is going up Tuesday :)

August 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

http://abirthrevolution.com/index.php?topic=3430.0

That's Jess's review of the China Study

August 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet said...

That's great! It just goes to show you that making something yourself saves SO much money. :-) Thanks for being part of the carnival last week.:-)

September 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Folky Dots....Treasures for the Sweetest People said...

I have a good recipe for homemade lunch meat that chicken or turkey can be used in and I think ham could maybe substituted too. Its not really hard to make either.

Have you ever heard of the "Make Your Own Groceries" cookbook? Thats where I got my recipe. Its a great cookbook but goes fairly high now on Amazon.

Anyway if you'd like the recipe let me know and I'll email it to you.
Dana W.

March 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home