Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Weekend eating

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Weekend eating


Beet kvass. I didn't know what to expect, but I kind of like the beet kvass. My toddler thought it was something sweet and asked for some. She swallowed what was in her mouth, but was not interested in finishing the cup. That's okay. It just tasted like pickled beet juice to me.

For dinner tonight we had wild rice from costco cooked in chicken stock for a long time. I mixed in some organic ground beef, and had lactofermented green beans and organic tortilla chips (read: no GMOs) on the side. I was reading about the protein-sparing effects of geletin in stock during lunch yesterday. Nourishing Traditions says that by eating a diet with lots of good chicken stock means that your body can better use less protein. That works for me, since good quality animal protein is pretty expensive.

My hubby seems to becoming more acclimated to this way of eating. I had bought the organic wild rice from Costco over a year ago, and he wanted nothing to do with it. He's gladly eaten it twice now, not even saying anything. I've been cooking it a really long time (2+ hours), as recommended in Nourishing Traditions, so I wonder if that helps. I don't stress too much about what he doesn't want to eat. I'm pretty picky about what my kids eat, just because I want them to be in the habit of eating real food, but if it takes hubby a little longer to get on board as much as I am, I'm fine with that.

We've got a chicken going over night in the crock pot, and some buckwheat soaking for breakfast. This will be my first try with buckwheat, we'll see how it goes. I like to just do a little every day, and try something new once a week or so. Less often if life is busy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

My children won't drink beet kvass either. They do love kombucha though. My hubby sounds like yours. He doesn't liked fermented foods but will eat some of the other things. I figure if I can get him to eat healthier at home that is a start.

July 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I'm pretty sure she thought it would be sweet, and it surprised her :) My hubby will eat pickles and sauerkraut so far, and he'll eat my soaked wheat bread but prefers it when I make white. I think he's doing pretty well!

July 12, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home