Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Washing Hair with Baking Soda and Vinegar

Friday, July 10, 2009

Washing Hair with Baking Soda and Vinegar

If you're looking into washing your hair with baking soda and vinegar (No Pooing), you'll also be interested in the following:
Homemade Humidifier Additive
Homemade Deodorant that really works
Essential Oils
Tooth Soap
Other Natural Home and Body Care Products
Soapberries- All Natural Laundry Detergent! 

And now onto how to wash your hair with baking soda and vinegar

A friend had told me quite a while ago that you could wash your hair with baking soda and vinegar. I had seen 'no poo' people around the internet and just thought that they were not using anything to clean their hair. Didn't sound like anything I wanted to try.

I was still pretty skeptical about the vinegar and baking soda, I was convinced it would leave my hair dull, dry, and vinegary. But after seeing how well vinegar softens up wool when I used it on my son's longies, I thought I'd give it a try as a conditioner. I had some baking soda leftover that I had been using for my teeth (switched to tooth soap, which works way better).

Once again, I was surprised at how well natural alternatives work. I had been using Herbal Essences (which I know are quite not natural) after a failed attempt with Burt's Bee's natural shampoo and conditioner. The baking soda cleaned super well, it was a little harder to work into my hair than regular shampoo, but it easily rinsed clear. The vinegar was amazing and left my hair easier to brush out than the chemical or natural conditioner ever did.

I've been using just the vinegar on my toddler's hair too, her hair is really dry so I don't need the baking soda. I just rinse her hair out with water (she showers with me) and then put some vinegar in and rinse it.

When I first tried this I used about a tablespoon of baking soda and 1/4 cup of vinegar. I thought that wasn't very frugal, I'd be going through a box of baking soda and a bottle of vinegar every month or so. Then I read how Stephanie at Keeper of the Home does it, she diluted the vinegar and baking soda down so it lasts way longer. I've been doing that since she posted, and it works just as well but uses way less.

Right now we're just using an old plastic Burt's Bee's shampoo bottle for the baking soda/water and I filled my mostly empty vinegar bottle (plastic) up the rest of the way with filtred water and that's what we use for that. I did put a couple drops of orange essential oil in each because I like to have some sort of scent in my hair and that's what I had around.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jessica said...

I get really greasy hair and have to wash it at least twice a week to look halfway decent - although I've been known to opt for the crazy, self neglecting housewife look when hanging out at home - so I was wondering, does baking soda get rid of grease well enough for a greasy girl like me? The vinager rinse sounds alright. Although I confess, I am skeptical if something without any cream or oil of some kind would be enough for my long dry locks. Advice?

July 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Hi Jess :)

Just try it! I'm sure you have both baking soda and vinegar at home ;) I was totally skeptical of not having cream or oil in it too, but it works really well. And you might have to use more baking soda, but I'm sure it will work. I wash my hair in theory every other day, but often enough it's every 3.

July 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Q said...

I wash my hair like this too(I've been doing it for about 3 months now!) and I love it, one thing to watch out for is that after about a month most people go through a time where their hair gets really oily and kinda nasty, It's just your hair getting used to not being shampooed so don't give up!

I now use oil drizzlers that I found at winners to keep my diluted baking soda and vinegar in, It works great!

July 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

That's a good idea, the drizzlers. The baking soda doesn't clog them?

I'm curious now if my hair will get all oily after a month, I guess we'll see!

July 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you still using & liking the baking soda/vinegar for your hair? I have long curly hair, which of course, tends to be dry. I'm thinking of giving this a try but wonder if you use anything in lieu of a styling product? My hair tends to need some
"taming"!:) Would love some suggestions!

November 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I think the vinegar would tame it, I love the vinegar for conditioning. Apple cider vinegar seems to do more 'taming' than regular white vinegar, for me at least.

I'm using baking soda as shampoo most of the time still, but every 2 weeks or so I notice it's getting kind of dull and ucky, and I use Burt's Bee's shampoo. Still with the vinegar.

November 14, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home