Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Nourishing Traditions/ Maker's Diet Food preperation ramblings

Friday, July 17, 2009

Nourishing Traditions/ Maker's Diet Food preperation ramblings

A better picture of sprouting buckwheat. We've really been enjoying this, in sandwiches, in scrambled eggs, and I'm going to try adding it to whole wheat bread next.
Sautéing it with butter on our cast iron griddle- then we added some eggs for scrambled eggs.
Hubby's white bread. He'll eat the whole wheat, but prefers white. I try to not impose my ideas on him too forcefully, so I make him white bread about once a week. If he decides to eat a loaf as toast in one sitting (he does construction and really eats quite a bit) then the rest of the week he can have the wheat bread we have on hand.

He calls it buttermilk bread, but there isn't any buttermilk in it. It's unbleached white flour from Wheat Montana (GMO free and organic, but not certified organic so the price is affordable), honey, water (or milk if we have it), butter, yeast, and sea salt.

I've got some white beans cooking away in my crock pot, after soaking last night. Wheat is soaking for bread dough tomorrow. My entire bottom shelf of the fridge and half the door is taken up with lactofermented veggies, so we'll eat those for a while before making more. I bought 5 dozen eggs last weekend and we're down to one dozen left. I'm always surprised at the amount of eggs we go through.

I need to get better at planning weekend eating, all too often we kind of snack our way through the weekend because I didn't get my act together to actually fix two or three real meals a day.

After hemming and hawing for quite a while, I bought a (used) double jogging stroller, which we've been enjoying this week. We go out at least once to one of the three parks that are within walking distance of us. It feels really good to be out in the sun, and unlike the Ergo I don't have to worry about my baby getting too much sun while we're out. I've read that it's better to not wear dark glasses, that your eyes actually need sun, and I want to look into that more. I tried searching for it quickly and didn't come up with anything very credible, so I'll have to look into it a little more.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

Your bread is so pretty! You should see how many eggs we eat. We buy at least 12 dozen a week. I can't wait 'till my chickens start laying!

July 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I bet!

That's a lot of eggs. Sometimes people will comment when I'm buying 30 lbs of flour or 5 dozen eggs. No, we're just a family of 4 lol.

July 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I am curious what are the benefits to sprouting buckwheat? And why do you add it to so many things? Is it just because it tastes good, is it a cheap way to "stretch" food, does it have healthy benefits that help digest meals?? I am just curious. THANKS!! :D

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home