Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: My crockpot chicken

Thursday, July 9, 2009

My crockpot chicken

I've been doing my crock pot chickens now once a week since May. I'm buying the more expensive organic chickens at Costco, which usually works out to around $12. Since we've been able to give up gross nitrate-laden nonorganic lunch meat, it's been about a wash in our budget.

I've found that a chicken's worth of meat makes all 5 sandwiches for hubby, and another 3 or so for me, plus I can add some chicken to quesadillas or burritos or something during the week. And the broth and fat are a great addition to rice, bread, and anything else savory that needs liquid.

I personally find that when I pay a little more for organic, and have to work a little more (doing this chicken rather than buying lunch meat) I 'respect' the food more and tend to waste less and take better care in preparing our meals. I'm slowly switching over to more and more organics, but keeping our same food budget just by being more careful with what we have.

Related:
Cooking the chicken and making the broth in the crockpot

Information on the health benefits of real broth from WestonPrice.org

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Your last paragraph is so true! Just made my first batch of chicken stock this week. I am far from a "country girl" and I had to walk out of the kitchen for a minute to collect my self (gut). I then calmly walked back in telling myself to just not think about what I was doing and I survived. I have never touched a whole chicken before - it came straight from the farm - insides and all - but in the end it never felt so good to know that I was serving my family the best!

July 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Too funny. When we moved from the country to the city last year I was going to butcher my organic chickens. I wimped out and sold them all on Craigslist instead :o)

July 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous emily said...

i find that natural chicken does taste so much better. i just made a whole chicken roasted in a clay pot with curry and coconut oil over it. it made a whole meal for all 6 of us and lunch for me the next day. it was 3.5$ per lb for a local, pastured, organic chicken but worth it to me. making broth makes the purchase go even further!

July 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home