Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: More pickles, and green beans (lactofermented)

Thursday, July 9, 2009

More pickles, and green beans (lactofermented)

We did some more pickles, in rounds this time for sandwiches. And my friend suggested green beans, so I picked some up at Costco and did those too.

Hannah and I have been devouring the pickle spears that we made last week. And since we're mostly milk free, I'm thrilled to be getting some good bacteria for us (through the whey) that most people can get from yogurt.

Honestly, as healthy and frugal as I try to be, I still way too often find produce rather... wilted... at the bottom of my fridge at the end of the week. Preparing my veggies this way keeps that from happening, which is great for our health and dollars.

More about easy nourishing lactofermented veggies

And this ties right into what Kimi is talking about at The Nourishing Gourmet, not wasting food. Hop on over there for more frugal fare at Pennywise Platter Thursday

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

The green beans look nice. I need to try making some.

July 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Briana said...

Oh, did you blanch them first?

July 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Thanks! Your garden looks amazing. I'm a little jealous, but I also realize it's a ton of work.

July 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Didn't see the second one. Nope, I don't blanch them. It's so easy! Just wash, stick them in the jar, add 1 tbs of salt, 2 tbs whey, and fill to 1" of the top with filtered water.

You have Nourishing Traditions, don't you?

July 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Briana said...

Cool. Yeah, I have NT. I don't remember the recipe being in there. Guess I was too lazy to go check.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask how you train your dog(s). We have an Australian cattle dog pup and I want to get her started right. I'm trying clicker training and that is going well. Our main problem is her wanting to heel the children.

Thanks for the comp on the garden. Remember i have two teen boys. They need to do lots of work. Also this is only my fourth year of veggie garden. I have had many years to dream about a garden so that's where my motivation comes from.

July 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet said...

Those green beans looks amazing! Thanks for the inspriation and being part of the carnival!

July 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Yeah, you're right the green beans aren't in NT. I just decided that since none of the other recipies were blanched that I didn't need to do these either :) You're one of the first people I heard about 'real eating' from, so I was pretty sure you had NT :o)

And Kimi, we love your new carnival!

July 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger babydoc said...

Hi Cara, thanks so much for your blog, it's given me so much advice and ideas since I discovered it. I'm now fully pledged on kefirring. I want to give fermenting vegetables a chance this week. I get the process of putting them into the jar and keeping for 4days before eating, then what, can I open and close the jar as much as I like to get some veg each day. I saw a video on youtube by timelesshealth today and apparently it keeps for 6months? Does it have to be stored in the fridge or is it 6months storage at room temperature?

Thanks

Liz, UK

January 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Hi Liz,
I leave them on the counter, closed, for 3-4 days, then you can open them as much as you like. After the 'counter time' keep them in the fridge for 6 months or so, after the initial time at room temp they do need to be kept cool.

Hope that helps! Nourishing Traditions has good directions too.

Cara

January 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger babydoc said...

Thanks for replying Cara, look forward to giving it a go once I'm done with my exams next month, gives me time to reorganise my fridge also!

January 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM  
Anonymous cori said...

just threw some green beans in a jar per your instructions. home they turn out! thanks for the idea :-)

March 6, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home