Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness

Tuesday, July 28, 2009


I'm on a massive clean out of my house this week and not cooking a whole lot. We're eating a lot of pot stickers from Costco, I try to choose my convenience food more carefully now. These little frozen pot stickers are MSG, trans fat, artificial coloring, and pork free. They contain chicken, veggies, and are cooked in butter (good fat), so they're a good enough compromise for having a cleaned out house.

I have a friend who keeps up her house beautifully, and I finally realized that if I want a beautiful house then I should copy what she does (we're not in second grade any more, so she doesn't mind a copy cat for a friend ~grin~). She is great at moving things on that don't need to be held onto. So I'm attempting to do the same via Freecycle (I love that! Just post it, and then someone who wants it comes and takes it off your porch), donating to the thrift store, the children's consignment store, and the dumpster.

I'm trying to remember that there's not use hanging onto stuff that takes up tons of room and is only used every so often that I could go buy at the thrift store for $1 if I really did need it again. So far I've gotten rid of a boppy (I used it with my first, hardly at all with my second since I was constantly nursing on the run), a bunch of books that we didn't need to own, clothes, decorative knick knacks that have meandered from house to house and never been enjoyed, and the toaster oven is going too. Next is the garage, going through what baby clothes we really would use again, quilting scraps, other crafty paraphernalia. I've decided the single stroller can go, since I have a double one now. If I might need a single stroller, we can make do with the ergo or mei tai.


Any clean out tips are welcome!
What have you gotten rid of that you thought you would miss but didn't?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Half the "must haves" in my kitchen that I register for when we got married 7 years ago that were still sitting in boxes now covered with dust! My grandma could make gourmet meals with a bowl and a spoon so why did I think I needed a different gadget for every recipe? Things we have eliminated and not missed for one second - a fry daddy, half a drawer of fancy gadgets, two sets of mixing bowls (I had 4), a "george forman" grill, and the list goes on....

July 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Does it ever end? :-)

I'm going cabinet to cabinet, closet to closet when I have time. We can't finance the kind of remodel I want right now, but cleaning things up goes a long way towards making a nice home environment.

July 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Funny, we got rid of hubby's must-have George Forman grill during a cleanout a couple years ago. That thing was a pain to clean and dried out meat until it was too hard to eat.

Tara, I hear you. We've decided that it's a reality that we're moving at least 3 more times in the next 5 years (we've moved 5 times I think in our 5-year marriage- and we're not military) so cleaning out is necessary to reduce the hassle.

I took before and after pics of a cabinet I did last week, but I don't think I'm brave enough to post them. The papers! The clutter! What was I thinking?

July 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Q said...

I've been trying to get rid of anything that I haven't used in the last 6 months. Obviously within reason.

It helps. I just need to stop holding onto things that I feel hold memories for me, but actually don't.

July 31, 2009 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Dollmaker Barb said...

If you REALLY want to see clutter, try never moving!!! We've been in the same house for 34 years! I'm also trying to separate out the materials I need from the materials I don't need, or seldom need. Wish it didn't take so long, but the longer you wait, the more stuff there is to sort though--I've waited TOO long!!!

February 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home