Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Healthy Mayonnaise

Monday, July 6, 2009

Healthy Mayonnaise


I've been wanting to do real mayonnaise for a long time now. I did decent stuff back in 2007 but it was with canola oil, which we're avoiding now because it's genetically modified. At least it wasn't the partially hydroginated soybean oil that's in commercial mayo.

This weekend I finally gave up on the kitchenaid and used the food processor, which is what is recommended in Nourishing Traditions anyway. I hadn't used it before because I find it a pain to clean, and also I wasn't sure which blade to use. I just used the biggest metal sharp blade and it worked really well. I remembered that this was why I bought the grape seed oil, and since the grape seed oil is bright green my mayo has a green tint but that's fine. I ran out of grape seed oil before it was done, so there's some olive oil in it too.

I added whey also, so it's lactofermented. After letting it sit out for 7 hours (which is so counter intuitive! Haven't we been trained since forever to never let mayonaise sit out?) it did thicken up, and then even more after being in the fridge. I'm happy with it and am officially no longer intimidated by a little oil, salt, raw eggs, and whey.

On soaked whole wheat bread with my crockpot chicken, lactofermented radishes, and just plain French's mustard since I haven't gotten around to making that yet.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger milkmood said...

Recipe sounds great. We're starting the Maker's Diet soon (just reading through the book now), so I'm going to add this to my recipe list.

July 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Mountainash (Ashley Aus) said...

You were the one who had the mayonnaise instructions?! I *knew* I had seen it somewhere! I can't believe that was back in '07, though. Time flies!

February 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home