Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Buckwheat porridge

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Buckwheat porridge


The porridge turned out really well. My 2 year old liked it a lot, I think that she liked that the 'grains' were easier to pick up than rice, since they're a little bigger. The only thing that was a little weird, was that it retained it's green color a little when cooked. It tasted really good, and it kept it's form so it wasn't 'mushy' like oatmeal. Absolutely worth trying again. We had it cooked in just water with some butter and a tad of maple syrup on top.

To make it I soaked 1/2 cup buckwheat and 1 cup water + 2ish tablespoons yogurt overnight. In the morning I turned the burner on 'medium' and cooked, covered, for about 20 minutes.

Other posts of interest:
Maple Syrup Research (We use Grade B and it's really good!)
About Buckwheat

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

This is interesting. I've been hearing more and more about buckwheat lately so maybe I need to give it a shot.
Totally off-topic, but I have a cheese question I was hoping you might help me with. I recently made ricotta for the first time. Wow... the difference between homemade and store bought is unreal. It was really good! My question is about the liquid left-over. I'm not sure if I made the cheese wrong or what, but it seemed like I had a lot of liquid left and that it looked too milky. I thought it should have looked clear, like whey. I'd love to make ricotta again, but this seems rather wasteful. Do you have any thoughts that might be helpful. Do you I didn't add enough vinegar to make enough curd? Any advice you have would be appreciated.

July 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Maybe it's because buckwheat is cheap? For the quart I paid just over a dollar, for organic. I forgot to put that. Love cheap healthy food :)

Cheese- I honestly have only made the yogurt cream cheese stuff, so I don't know really how to answer that. I might try using the liquid as whey, I'm guessing it's mostly whey and a little milk? Sorry I can't be more help.

July 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home