Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Beet Kvass

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Beet Kvass

At first I wasn't sure what I thought of beet kvass, and I origionally bought the beets to do pickled beets. But that required baking them for 3 hours and it's hot- didn't want the oven going for 3 hours.

Beet kvass, like all the lactofermented veggies I've been doing lately, is supposed to be really good for digestion. The lactofermentation brings out the nutrients in the beets, making them easier to absorb in the body. It also is raw, so has the enzymes in it still that are so essential to life.

Beet kvass is recommended as a tonic, so we'll try drinking the liquid or adding it to salad dressings and other things where it will remain uncooked so the enzymes stay intact.



Peeled.


She said to coarsely chop, not grate, because grated beets would turn into alcohol. I'm not sure how coarsely to chop, so I did one in bigger chunks, one in smaller.
With the whey, filtered water, and salt. We let them sit on the counter for 3 days with the jam jars screwed on securely (but not boiled or cooked or steamed or anything) and then transfered to the fridge to stay.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Briana said...

Have you tried Kombucha yet? I like to drink a mix of beet kvass and kombucha with breakfast and dinner. The kombucha makes the kvass taste better.

July 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I haven't. I don't have the starter (?) for it yet, or is that one that doesn't need a starter? I need to look it up... Thanks for the tip, I haven't even tried the kvass yet.

July 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home