Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Sunscreen

Friday, June 26, 2009

Sunscreen

I recently discovered the blog Keeper of the Home, and I finally got a chance to look back at some of her posts. Since it's summer now, I was wanting to write about what I had found out about sunscreen. But her Sunscreen post is just what I wanted to say, so I'll direct you there instead.

My 2-1/2 year old has only had sunscreen on once, that was when we went on a hike and there were some parts of the trail where she couldn't be kept in the shade. And I really wanted to go on the hike ~grin~. But we prefer not to use sunscreen because of the ingredients it contains.

The sun precautions that we take are similar to Keeper of the Home's post above. Keeping the kids out of the sun is also why I wanted to find a jogging stroller, they get too much sun when I have one on my back in the Ergo for longer walks (though I love love love the Ergo Baby Carrier for other things). I also keep sunscreen in the diaper bag just in case we end up doing something where they are going to have to be out in the sun. But I haven't had the need to use it yet.

I've heard, and need to look more into, that wearing dark glasses isn't the best thing to do either. I try to evaluate everything by how we were created. I believe we were created without dark glasses for a reason ~grin~, but then I also think that we weren't created to drive long distances focusing on a bright glaring road either, so I'm guessing dark glasses are preferred for driving. I stopped wearing them when we just go on walks and do other outside stuff, and I do notice that my mood is improved when I come in from outside. I'll share if I find anything that reflects my random observations

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Raine Saunders said...

Hi Cara - I found this post on the front page of your web site, and I totally agree with you about the sunglasses (and the sunscreen too, for that matter!).

When my son was younger, I remember my friends and parents badgering me to put sunscreen on him all the time. I frequently would forget to put it on and then I would get scolded. But the funny thing is, he really never got sunburned except once when we were in Mexico and it wasn't severe. He also seems to have a bit of sunburn resistance in his skin, even though he is really fair. I sunburn more than he does, in fact. But over the last couple of years we've used sunscreen less and less, and when we do, it's Badger (which I think is the best brand to use if you are going to be out in the sun for an unavoidably long amount of time). This year I won't be using it at all if I can help it.

I haven't been wearing my sunglasses much either, and people think I'm weird for that too. My son has glasses and he complained for awhile about the sun being too bright when he was outside playing, so we got him the tempered lenses which change to dark when you are outside. I'm now thinking we probably shouldn't have done this, but glasses are expensive and I don't know that he'd agree to switch to normal lenses.

But, this is a great article! I think the amount of sun we received last summer (which was a lot) really helped us to store up Vitamin D and stay healthy this winter. My husband and I haven't been sick yet this winter, and my son was sick only once for one day. Winter's not over yet, but I feel confident we'll make it through without being sick (or at least much, anyway). Thanks Cara! :)

January 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home