Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Home Made Lactofermented Sauerkraut

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Home Made Lactofermented Sauerkraut

Finished and ready to 'rest' on the counter to start fermentation.

Beginning- coring the cabbage.

I absolutely love my Cuisinart for shredding cabbage.
My make-shift pounder. A mason jar in a plastic tupperware bin. I was surprised at how much pounding and grinding I had to do
The crushed cabbage


We'll let it sit out 4 days, then transfer it to the bottom of the fridge.


Part of

 

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Sauerkraut is on my list of things to make this year. Yours looks great.

I think you can use sea salt in making the dill relish I posted. As long as there is no iodine, you should be fine using any kind.

July 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Briana said...

I've been making this for awhile. I just leave the bowl of salted cabbage in a covered bowl for an hour and then stuff it in the jars. It has enough juice and you don't have to pound.

July 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Well that sure sounds a whole lot easier than all the pounding! Thanks Briana

July 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you add anything else? Salt or whey?

August 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Yup, both. I think it's 1 tbs salt and 1 tbs whey? I followed the recipe in Nourishing Traditions.

August 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Every Friday I do something called "Taste the World" on my blog where I focus on the food from one country for one month. This month I'm doing German food! You should come by and link up this recipe so I can add it to the running total of German recipes. :)

http://alison.blogsome.com/2010/04/08/taste-the-world-kugel/

April 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home