Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Hydration

Friday, June 12, 2009

Hydration

I was reading Alison's blog, Hospitality Haven this morning and reminded about how important water is to drink, especially at this time of year when we're so busy and warm. Sincde we mostly stay home, we drink filtered water that's just filtered with a PUR filter. The replacement cartridges are available at Costco, still a little pricey, but worth it to us. When we had a well in our last place, the ground did all the filtering for us, but now that we're in the city I feel like we need to filter out all the ick, including chlorine, that the city adds to our water. We use jars to drink from at home, and Hannah uses a Sigg metal water bottle when we're out, I use Nalgene. Hubby uses a Gott-type cooler, I need to look into something better for him. He brings 2 gallons of water with ice in it to work every day. I let the baby have a sippy with water in it, but he mostly just chews on it. He's still on an all liquid diet anyway (he's breastfed, and we don't start solids til a year) but I want him to have water available if he wants it. When we're out and about, taking walks and being generally busy, I notice that my toddler is less likely to drink enough. So on those days I let her have her beloved sippy cup with water in it at nap and bed time.

I'm not a huge fan of my toddler carrying around a sippy cup all the time, and since she can drink from an open cup we leave an open cup out on her little table with water in it. But she does drink more from the sippy cup, so when I'm worried that she might not be drinking enough water I bring that out. And if she's still too busy doing all the fun summer things to drink, I put some diluted juice or stevia-flavored stuff in it and then it's gone.

For myself, I just try to have a cup out wherever I am at the time, and I'm in the habit of drinking plenty. I think that by seeing me drink water throughout the day, she mimics me pretty well too.

Last summer I babysat some elementary aged girls, and they did NOT like to drink at all. Because I didn't want them to have heat stroke while we were at the park or playing, I would make them drink X amount of water before we would leave, and again before we'd get back in the car. Different things for different kids, I guess.

What do you do to get your family to drink the water they need?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Thanks for posting about this, and for the link! :)

June 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home