Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Chopped Onions

Monday, June 22, 2009

Chopped Onions


I bought a 10 pound bag of onions at Costco on Saturday. Even with keeping them in a cool dry place, they'll go bad before I can use them all, but for 39 cents a pound, they're a great deal. And that, combined with the fact that I hate cutting up onions but love the way they taste, lends itself to doing it all at once and storing.

I got a Cuisinart for my wedding over 5 years ago. It makes slicing things a snap, but is kind of a pain to get out just to chop up one onion. So I did all 10 pounds at once. If you keep the whole bag in the fridge overnight, there isn't so much 'tear juice' that comes out of the onions. I didn't do this, so I peeled them under running water, which also helps. Then cut them into pieces small enough to fit in the food processor, and used the slicer disk to thinly slice them.

Ended up with 2-1/2 gallon ziplocks full of chopped onions for tear-free recipe additions. I kept one in the house and transfered the other 2 bags out to the garage freezer.

The onions are pretty dry, so they don't tend to stick together in the freezer. If they do a little, though, just drop the bag on the counter and they'll loosen right up.
(This is a part of Works for me Wednesday)

Doing a lot of one thing like this all at once really helps me to stay on top of healthy and frugal food preparation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Platon said...

About onion juice, you can breath through your mouth while cutting onions and no tears!

June 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

I can't stand onions. They kill my eyes no matter where I am in the house. My mother in law is a fierce cook.

June 29, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home