Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Things I've learned about cloth diapering

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Things I've learned about cloth diapering

When I was in Jr High and High School I worked in a 'hippie' (Waldorf) pre-school in California, where the norm was to breastfeed your child into toddlerhood, not circumcise, and cloth diaper. While I strive to not fit myself into any stereotype (hippiedome) honestly a lot of what they did made since.

So, being acclimated to cloth diapering, I assumed I would be doing that for my own children. This is what I've learned so far and what has worked for us.

1. You can't beat CPFs for durability, cost effectiveness, and grow-with-baby potential. I like Green Mountain Diapers because they are a friendly and their CPFs are the highest quality I've found.

2. Snappis are great for little babies, but once they start squirming around much I find pins easier since you only have to hold one side of the diaper at a time.

3. If baby's getting a little red and you're using a waterproof PUL cover, either in a AIO or a wrap cover like Bummis, try using wool. I know it takes a little extra work, but it breathes and is naturally antibacterial so it might help a sensitive baby. I have to use wool covers with my little boy most of the time because of this, he gets a rash if he spends more than a few hours in PUL.

4. I know you're not supposed to, but I've always used regular diaper rash ointments with my kids, mostly A&D and Burt's Bee's. Never had any trouble. I do try to use CPFs rather than AIOs when I put ointment on them, since the CPFs will wash cleaner because they're not covered in waterproof material on one side.

5. A few AIO (all in one) diapers are perfect for Dads and sitters. I like Green Mountain Diaper's Disposo-easy because they have cotton insides. LOTS of babies are allergic to the so-called stay dry lining since it's synthetic.

6. For pins, I prefer Green Mountain Diaper's angled pins. I keep them in a bar of soap as my 'pin coushion' up on a shelf out of my toddler's reach.

7. For fastened diapers, I much prefer snaps to velcro (aplix or touch tape are other brand names) because they really hold well, don't grab lint, and look a lot cleaner.

8. I don't rinse my yellow-breastfed-poopoo, it washes right out in the washer.

9. Putting damp diapers out in the direct sun really does get rid of the yellow stains.

10. I don't prefer to cloth diaper into toddlerhood ;) I switched to huggies once my little one was almost 2, and we only use cloth occasionally.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennie said...

Are there any specific wool covers that you would recommend?

February 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I knit mine, I like longies and soakers.

Etsy and Hyena Cart have people who knit. Specifically I recommend Amy from True to Ewe if she's taking orders right now.
http://true2ewe.blogspot.com/

I've used Nikki (manufactured) but hadn't been thrilled with them, though they may have better ones than what I tried 3+ years ago now.

Green Mountain Diapers might have some good longies too, I know shopping for custom orders can be overwhelming! I've been happy with everything I've ordered from GMD, though I haven't bought wool from there.

February 10, 2010 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Natural5 said...

could you post your pattern?

May 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I use the pattern from Diaperkit.com :)

May 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger pippy_longstocking said...

Hi Cara I have tried to order Greenmountain diapers, but since I am in Canada, they do not ship. Any ideas??? I have been on almost every other site and those are the ones I would like to use.
Maggie

June 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Cara @ Health Home and Happiness said...

I'm not sure. You might ask on the HyenaCart forums, those gals know cloth diapers :)

June 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home