Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Day 3

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 3


148 today, but I woke up today feeling awful and got up, ate some apple sauce and went back to sleep and slept til almost 11. I never do that, I'm always up at 6:30 at the latest, since that's when my toddler gets up. Some people might say that I was detoxing, but I'm pretty sure I was going into ketosis; my body wasn't able to turn fat into the carbohydrates that my brain needed fast enough. This is a major problem with low carb diets, and people can even go into comas from it.

When I was in Nutrition at our JC (I have an associate's degree in health science and was going to be a nurse but changed my mind.) there was a body builder in my class who started the Atkins diet, not to lose weight, but in an effort to build muscle. He went into ketosis and was hospitalized for a week because his kidneys started to shut down. Some low-carb diet promotors say that you just have to deal with the symptoms of ketosis for a week or so, and then it goes away, but that is a risk I'm not willing to take.

I chose to go ahead and eat something high in carbohydrates (applesauce) because I do not think that ketosis is healthy for anyone's body. I thought that with The Maker's Diet, even phase one that is lower in carbohydrates, would have enough in there to prevent ketosis, but apparently it didn't, for me at least. This might be complicated by the fact that I'm breastfeeding, so the necessary sugars that were in my blood stream were grabbed out to make milk (milk is a filtrate of blood) to give to my child. I'm thankful for this! I was able to tell it was affecting me negatively, and I chose to stop.

I'll go ahead and continue on with the diet, but I'm adding back in fruit, especially high carb fruits like bananas and apples. Lots of low-carb diet advacators say that it's just something to get used to, but I'm not comfortable with being in that state. I'm not even particularly trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to eat healthier and get in the habit of eating how the Creator intended.

Some signs of ketosis:
Extreme thirst
Lethargy
Nausea
Lightheadedness

Dangers of Ketosis:
Stress on the kidneys
Damage to the liver and kidneys



(and the picture is a little needle felted angel that I made last night. Needle felting is pretty fun. Completely irrelavent to this post, but fun nonetheless )

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home