Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.healthhomehappy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Health, Home, and Happiness: Costco

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Costco

Do you have a Costco where you live? I love our Costco, and it's not even that big. The one we went to in California had power tools and stuff, no power tools here except a special display occasionally. But they seem to be getting more and more organic foods, which I love. I'll share my purchases from last Wednesday with you, kind of walking you through how I make decisions at the grocery store. You might think I overanalyze things, but this is just the way I am.

Dog food 24.79- He gets table scraps too. We have done the BARF diet in the past, and it worked well for us, but I haven't been able to find chicken cheap (when we did it, we found it for 29 to 39 cents a pound regularly) for a while.

Diapers 42.79 I hate buying disposible diapers, but I have come to the realization that sometimes some thing have to go, and my toddler is in 'sposies' about 3/4 of the time. (my 6 month old is cloth diapered 100%) I've tried Huggies Organics, and ideally I'd use Tushies, but at this point in time these are Huggies 'regulars'. And I learned that Costco doesn't take manufacturer coupons, didn't know that before.

Butter Crissonts 5.79 - our 'junk food' alternative to what used to be something from the candy isle (4 pounds of Jelly Bellies anyone?). Made with flour and butter mostly, I'm guessing bleached flour. Has a little bit (package says less than 2%) of soybean oil, which I do not like since most soy is genetically modified. No hydroginated oils, that's a plus. And there is sugar, but not corn syrup (corn is also genetically modified)

Peanuts 7.62 for two big cans. Walmart has them a little cheaper, but they use soybean oil (see above) so I'd rather pay a tad more for these. They only contain peanuts, peanut oil, and salt. I haven't found an inexpensive sourse for organic peanuts yet, that's in the back of my mind to find. Hubby eats peanuts a lot for snacks, since he does construction he burns a TON of calories and I struggle to keep up with him.

Organic apples 6.99 for 12. I don't like that they come in the plastic packaging, but I guess that's what you get at Costco. These organic apples are very good, nice and big. At 58 cents each I don't pretend that they're inexpensive, but we enjoy them. We 'cut' our expensive purchases with cheaper ones, so we eat a lot of bananas. Bananas are supposedly not heavily sprayed (and that makes sense to me, considering how they are grown), so it's okay to buy them 'conventionally' grown. I passed up the strawberries since I know that conventional (conventional is non organic) are heavily sprayed.

Mustard 2pk 6.39. Just regular yellow mustard. I think it's French's. I read in the Tightwad Gazette that it's inexpensive to make your own mustard, but I haven't gotten my act together to do that yet. I did make mayo the other day, though! :)

Organic fryers 23.17. For two whole chickens. This was a splurge and an experiment, I'm going to see exactly how many meals I can get out of these. We tend to use chicken in things rather than as a main dish. I have one chicken in my crock pot right now, which I'll pull all the meat off and turn half into chicken salad for hubby's lunches and the other half I'll put in the freezer to use in Mexican food, on pizza, or in a chicken and rice bake.

Blueberries 9.45. I'd imagine that blueberries are fairly heavily sprayed, but I bought these anyway. Once we actually own a home and plan on staying there, we will be planting and raising blueberries organically! For now, we eat a lot of blueberry muffins, and these were cheaper than the mixed berries, so we'll use them in smoothies.

Honey 10.99 (one quart? I think, it's a pretty big container). This lasts a long time, and it's more of a 'whole food' than sugar. I can get local raw honey from the local health food store for the same price, but I didn't feel like making another stop. Raw local would be much preferable. I use honey in everything that needs to be sweetened except for cookies and cakes.

Organic Peanut Butter 7.69 for 2 good sized jars. For the amount of protein in these jars, I consider this a steal.

Kirkland Butter 6.29 (I think it's 4 lbs). If I have leftover money in groceries, I'll buy the organic butter. It's the same price for half as much, but I feel pretty strongly about eating organic milk.

Organic Ground Tortilla Chips 4.49. I talked about these in the 'Food' post below.

Organic ground beef 12.99 for 3 lbs. Like the chicken, we usually use ground beef in addition to another 'protein' in our meal (like beans). I make hamburgers about twice a month, and for the three of us we use 1-1/2 lbs of beef. At 4.33 a pound, a meal of hamburgers costs 6.49 just for the meat. I add home made baked fries and occasionally home made buns, and broccoli, bringing the entire meal up to $10 at the most. I know this is a pricier home-cooked meal, but it's still about 1/3 of the cost of going out to eat and I consider the organic beef to be worth it.

Red potatoes 4.49 for a big bag.



More posts on 'food value':
What I've learned: Food
Frugal and Healthy Eating

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I don't know where you are from but in Wisconsin we can purchase anywhere from a quarter cow to a whoel cow. we have a 17 cu ft freezer which is just perfect for a quarter of a cow. This is much more cost efficient at about 2.00-2.25 per lb. and usually is a mixture of ground, steaks, roast, and other pieces depending on which part of the cow you purchase. If you don't know where to find someone who sells a cow talk to a local small town butcher or look their becuase they are usually almost the same cost.

April 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home